The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Cloud Options
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Acoustic Cloud Options

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on what to use for my cloud.

My current set-up consists of bass traps up to the ceiling in the corners behind my speakers, and two 4" thick rock-wool absorption panels to the first reflection points to the sides.

I currently have two 2" panels left over and also two 4" panels with a wooden "diffuser" type design attached to the front.

Which panels would be best suited to the back wall and which are best for the cloud (with air gap) above my listening position?

My room isn't the largest so I thought it would be best to treat the low frequencies with the 4" diffuser hybrid panel, but I am also worried the diffuser type design on the front might mess something up with the first reflections.

Thanks a lot
Old 4 days ago
2" deep panels won't do much for you in any position, I think.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichaWaJemba View Post
... I thought it would be best to treat the low frequencies with the 4" diffuser hybrid panel ...
To add to Johann's comment, low frequencies will just pass through a 4" panel. Depending on how low you need to treat you are likely to need from 8" to 24" depth.

Regarding the diffuser, unless your listening position is at least 3.5 metres (11' 6") from the wall you want to put the diffuser on, forget it as otherwise you will end up with reflections coming back too soon (ie. quicker that 20ms) and that will mess up your brain's ability to distinguish between the direct sound and any reflections.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Yeah unfortunately the situation isn't ideal. However I've finally put up these panels now and can hear such a huge difference! The 2" panels are just used at the back to reduce flutter echo, while I've got 4" panels on first reflection points and thick bass traps in the corners (diffuser hybrid panel just on ceiling as a cloud). I feel like I've been deaf listening to music all this time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search