The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Trap Window angle
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Bass Trap Window angle

Hello everybody. I’m planning on building superchunks bass traps that are 20” wide (face). As seen in the picture below I will have that listening position (at least facing that wall) and as you can see I can’t build a bass trap, or I’ll loose the window and part of the heating system (and I’m scared that everything would go on fire lol). What do you suggest doing? I know I can use other corners, like for example ceiling/wall. Should I still build a bass trap in the right corner? Even if it’s not going to be symmetric?

edit: MORE INFOS ON POST #5
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Window angle-866f36a7-eae5-46a2-af4b-6ef5d210ba62.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If I were you, I'd just lose part of the window and put at least some sort of bass trap on the left. Maybe just build smaller ones for the front corners, put the bigger ones elsewhere? I wouldn't worry about it catching on fire from a radiator, just leave and inch or so gap (and put a towel over that part of the radiator was a tip I got when had similar problem!)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorlizard View Post
If I were you, I'd just lose part of the window and put at least some sort of bass trap on the left. Maybe just build smaller ones for the front corners, put the bigger ones elsewhere? I wouldn't worry about it catching on fire from a radiator, just leave and inch or so gap (and put a towel over that part of the radiator was a tip I got when had similar problem!)
Thanks! So you suggest to keep it symmetrical? So if I build a smoller one on the lest I should do the same size on the right? I'm gonna do bigger ones in the back then and treat ceiling/wall corners maybe with panel bass traps instead of superchunks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm no expert, but having set up a few weird shaped rooms myself, one rule I've heard repeatedly is keep things symmetrical in the front of the room (including first reflection points on side walls - which may cost you some window as well...). Also, rear corners definitely benefit from big traps. Also, do move monitors around a few inches back and forth, wider and narrower, and listen for what sounds most neutral, this can make a big difference. If you provide room dimensions, maybe some of the more technical folk can give more precise advice?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorlizard View Post
I'm no expert, but having set up a few weird shaped rooms myself, one rule I've heard repeatedly is keep things symmetrical in the front of the room (including first reflection points on side walls - which may cost you some window as well...). Also, rear corners definitely benefit from big traps. Also, do move monitors around a few inches back and forth, wider and narrower, and listen for what sounds most neutral, this can make a big difference. If you provide room dimensions, maybe some of the more technical folk can give more precise advice?
Yeah that's a good idea!

This room will be used for mixing mainly, it's part of my house and I can't make any structural changes. The dimensions are the ones in the picture attached. I have had some REW measurements with the room almost empty (I still have a big wardrobe in the back, near the door. I'll attach that as well.

I'm planning in building two superchunks in the back, actually three. For the front corners I'm still unsure. Than some panel broadband absorbers in ceiling wall angles, not all of them, still have to figure how many I would need and ceiling cloud/ first reflection points. Than I probably will need to add something for diffusion, or have some rockwool panels with the "paper" out front for some mid/high reflection.

If anybody have something to point out I am more that happy to read what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Window angle-studio-blueprint.png  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Down Studio.mdat (10.44 MB, 1 views)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This room is not symmetric any way you slice it. Having the windows and doors in the corners is also not beneficial, preventing large absorbers from being placed there.

The best advice is to keep the speakers very close to the listening position, minimizing room sound (within 1m). You may also try using the top-left corner of the room (as portrayed in the diagram) as the "front corner", where the left speaker is butted against the left wall and the right speaker is against the top wall. When doing that, there is some symmetry around the speakers, but the rest of the room is going to be a challenge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
This room is not symmetric any way you slice it. Having the windows and doors in the corners is also not beneficial, preventing large absorbers from being placed there.

The best advice is to keep the speakers very close to the listening position, minimizing room sound (within 1m). You may also try using the top-left corner of the room (as portrayed in the diagram) as the "front corner", where the left speaker is butted against the left wall and the right speaker is against the top wall. When doing that, there is some symmetry around the speakers, but the rest of the room is going to be a challenge.
I was thinking about making it symmetric by putting absorbers on first reflection points, on the “top” wall and on free stands covering the window. Something like 4 2’x4’ per side, and a cloud above. I don’t expect perfect reproduction, but I need mix translation and clarity, at least in the frequency response of the room. Sound staging might be a bit distorted, but don’t know what I could really do about it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Freestanding panels are a good option in this case. With care in positioning they should be able to balance the early reflections, and improve imaging.

Also, the door and windows can be opened, which will allow some reflections to pass out of the room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Acoustic Treatment mixing/production room

If you wanna jump in!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search