The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A slightly complicated room...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

A slightly complicated room...

Hi,

Just moved house (again) and setting up in an unusual space (as usual). This room's a bit complicated though - unsymmetrical rear wall, bay window alcove on front wall, glass panels on one side wall... It's never going to perfect, but first impressions are it doesn't sound bad, and I'm hoping some of it's features can even be useful.

I'm trying out various placements of bass traps but just wanted to make sure I'm not proceeding under any misconceptions, especially regarding the glass paneling.

3 main questions (have attached photos to show areas mentioned):

1) Any issues with setting up monitors/desk in bay window alcove?

2) The glass paneling on the right side-wall... I'll put a bass trap at the first reflection point (which is basically where the glass paneled door is), but other than that, should I just leave it untreated (or maybe just some foam to damp)? My thinking is that most bass will pass thru the glass anyway, hence I'm best off putting my spare bass traps along the other side-wall, which is solid?

3) One of the rear corners has some more glass paneling and a doorway next to it - do I even need to do much to here, or again, will most bass just pass thru these glass panes?

It's a rented property but may be able to get away with a panel on the ceiling if needs be - depends how drill-able ceiling is... Anyway, any advice much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
A slightly complicated room...-20191105_132607.jpg   A slightly complicated room...-20191105_132650.jpg   A slightly complicated room...-20191105_132708.jpg  

Last edited by alligatorlizard; 1 week ago at 05:08 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

btw, have just improved the sound greatly by moving monitors forward a bit (as in into the room)- I think I was getting some first reflections off the alcove's side walls before - any further into the room though, and sound gets worse again (probably due to listening position getting too close to rooms centre) - anyway, I reckon I've found a sweet spot for monitor placement.

If the ceiling can take it, will be hanging a bass trap to intercept 1st ceiling reflections.

Any tips on any problems/benefits of the various bits of glass paneling much appreciated. Or anyone else who's set up in a bay window alcove?
Old 4 days ago
The best thing the glass window can do for you is to let bass through. Do you have a measurement?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

As in an acoustic measurement? Afraid not, I know that's the most accurate method of diagnosing/fixing problems, but as this rooms never going to be perfect, just after some general advice.

For now, I've prioritised bass trap placement against the hard walls, and used my foam panels on the glass areas.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorlizard View Post
As in an acoustic measurement? Afraid not, I know that's the most accurate method of diagnosing/fixing problems, but as this rooms never going to be perfect, just after some general advice.
Okay, the general advice is: Symmetry and deep basstraps help.

You don't have an omni microphone?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Thanks, but symmetry and bass traps I'm aware of - I mean general advice specific to a room with a bay window alcove and glass paneling in places. OK, without readings from an omni mic I know it's hard to be specific, but as a lot of rooms have bay windows, and this is the obvious position in most such rooms to set up (with symmetry and all!) thought it might be something that others had encountered before.

e.g. - if you have the speakers too far into the alcove, you'll need to worry about first reflections from the alcoves sides - that I just figured out (the mirror method helped check this)

But for example, how do you measure dimensions of room - do you measure from rear-wall to bay window, or to the front walls either side of the bay window alcove? And does the cavity of the alcove cause any resonant effects etc? Does setting up with the monitors in the bay window raise any red flags, basically.

Anyway, I seem to have a pretty good sound now, put some corner traps in the alcove (as in photo) which definitely helped, and as mentioned before, moved monitors out into the room enough to avoid first reflections from alcoves sides (as not much room for bass traps here!)
Old 1 day ago
Any holes in the structure will add to the "acoustic" dimensions of the room. For example, my room is 5,15 m but has a window at one end. Using 5,32 in amroc gets the lengthwise modes at roughly the spots that the measurement shows.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search