The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
4' x 8' Wood Panel Bass Trap - Stand Alone or Attached ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

4' x 8' Wood Panel Bass Trap - Stand Alone or Attached ?

Would Ethan Winer 4'x8' x4" deep wood panel bass trap be effective if attached to a double-frame wall? https://ethanwiner.com/BTPlans.gif
Or should I build free-standing 4'x8' x12" bass traps? Here's the deal...

I am treating my 27' x 40' garage jam room for drums, bass, 2 guitars, keys and vocal pa.

I have three 4' x 8' openings in my concrete block foundation wall that I filled in with two isolated 2x4 frame walls covered with a 1/2" sheet of pressure treated plywood on the inside and the outside, and filled with 2 isolated layers of Safe & Sound. These openings are on the end wall, about 75' from my neighbor's house.

I cannot build a "room in a room" because of code (don't ask why - coastal flood regulation). I want to put 4' x 8' wood panel bass traps along that end wall to try to manage low frequency waves from snare and kick (and toms, and bass guitar) the best I can. (I am also building broadband traps, corner bass traps, and clouds, as well as some 48"x48"x12" gobos.)

If I build stand-alone units, I will use 3/4" mdf for the rear panel, 2"x12" lumber for the frame, and fill with 6" of Safe & Sound with 2" air space on each side, and then seal with a sheet of 1/4" mdf. (I may even mix it up some: 1/8" sheet on one, 1/4" on one, 3/8" on one...) I will stand the units in front of the 3 double walls, in hopes of trapping some of the waves before they go to my neighbor's house.

If I build the Winer model, I essentially use the existing 1/2" pressure treated plywood as the back panel. They would be quicker, easier and cost less. However, I am concerned about concentrating all that low frequency into the double-frame wall. Also, it turns those double-walls from a 2-leaf into a 3-leaf wall.

Maybe it's a big deal, maybe not - I don't know, so I am asking anybody with experience and knowledge - what would you do?

Thanks!
billy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4'x8' openings - before.pdf (87.3 KB, 2 views) File Type: pdf 3 - 4x8 double wall.pdf (155.4 KB, 2 views) File Type: pdf 4'x8' double wall exterior.pdf (132.5 KB, 2 views) File Type: pdf Winer Bass Traps - deep, high, mid.pdf (91.5 KB, 2 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search