The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
treat control room or sacrifice live room size?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

treat control room or sacrifice live room size?

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a relatively small studio I've used for 15 years or so in my basement. The live room is:
w: 14' 4
H: 7' 7"
L: 18' 3"

The control room is:

W: 5' 4
H: 7' 7
L: 12' 1

Note: there is a large window across the front wall looking into the live room.

and an iso booth is:

L: 6'
W: 5' 3"
H: 7' 7"

I've treated the live room according to ethan winer's suggestion concerning low ceilings in putting pink stuff fairly deeply above a porous barrier (muslin). There are wood floors and some bass trapping in the corners.

My main concern, however is treating the control room. It is obviously very small and based on what I can surmise from calculations will require quite a bit of treatment to control the low end which will probably end up making the room fairly dead. It currently has two 2' x 4' 2" 703 panels opposite the window but could obviously use more treatment at the corners and ceiling. My thought was that I could move the wall out a few feet to give the control room more space as well as possibly move it closer to the golden ratio.

My question is somewhat based on an assumption concerning the golden ratio, which I assume is what one is attempting to get closest to in a room size ratio (is this correct)? If so, I might do best to move both rooms (live and control) closer to the golden ratio. My thought in doing so would be to move the wall of the control room about 3' out to 8'3, which would sacrifice 3' off of the live room, making it smaller, of course.

The question is, is this a good pursuit and would improve the acoustics of both rooms or would I do best to keep the live room as large as possible and just cram as much treatment as I can in the control room?

The bass is obviously the toughest area to eq but I would like to help even out the response in all areas. Thanks for any responses.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search