The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Angled Ceiling Desk Position
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Angled Ceiling Desk Position

I have angled ceilings and am trying to figure out the most ideal desk/monitor placement for my room. I've read as much as I could on here, but my situation is a little specific and couldn't find an answer.

I've been set up in this room for a couple months now and the main problem I'm having is the low end. I've never had a room sound this bad. I am about to dive deep into the world of REW and bass traps, but before I do all that I'd love to get anyones thoughts on this...

1. Do I face the angled ceiling or the tall wall? I know usually the answer would be the tall wall, but my angled ceilings are not symmetrical with each other...meaning the shorter walls are a bit different heights by 1ft.

2. If the answer is still face the tall wall, do I have to be in the center? There is a mini split AC unit and if I'm in the center its gonna be aiming at me. (I will make that work if that's my best solution.)

3. If the answer is face the angled wall, does it matter how near or far I am from the wall? Obviously the closer I get to the short wall, the ceiling gets closer and closer to my monitors...oh the reflections...

PS... The first attached pic is with a wide angle lens

Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Angled Ceiling Desk Position-img_1879.jpg   Angled Ceiling Desk Position-img_1880.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Your setup should be as symmetrical with respect to left and right as possible. Then you gotta measure with REW so you know what you have to treat.

At first glance I see a lot of corners that aren't treated - that may be causing your low end build up. You'll probably want to start there, but again, you won't know until you get good measurements with REW. Since you're already set up with some acoustic treatment (and symmetrically placed), I'd measure first before I started moving things around.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks!! I'm definitely going to attack all corners. Was mainly wondering about which way my desk should face before I started anything because that would change where I was measuring from. It's probably good where I have it...its technically the most symmetrical part of the room. Time to measure and trap!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search