The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for a vocal booth
Old 3rd November 2019
Here for the gear
Advice for a vocal booth

Hey guys,

I want to build a vocal booth and have some questions about the acoustics as i have never delved into this territory.

Let me start by saying,that i would much prefer to treat the room,but that is out of the question, as i am renting the place. So the booth seems the best option right now. I experimented with recording under a duvet, but it sounded horrible, muddy, and with too much low end.

Materials:

Stone Wool or Acoustic foam?

I will build the frames from wood, but i am not sure,which material to use for the treatment and how much of it. I am afraid the recordings will have an excessive amount of low frequencies if i overdo it, or it will sound "dead".

Size?

The panels will be 2 x 2m height and 1 meter width and the other 2 -
2m height and 2 meters width.

So my questions are-

1.Which material should i use- Stone wool or acoustic foam?
2.How much surface should i cover ? All of it?
3.Is the size of the booth good for recording?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you have any other suggestions,that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Your best advice is to go to a studio that already has this. If you can not afford the cost of hiring out a studio for a few hours you certainly can not afford the cost to properly fix your room. It's a lot cheaper and cost effective to hire out a studio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Isolation or absorption? If absorption only, this applies.

The Stone wool I used was a bit too heavy in my experience of making panels with them. Using top rockDD Rockwool to make 2x4 standard panels, each ended up weighing 20 pounds. I'd use rigid owens 703 fiberglass insulation, or LOOK into knauf eco stuff. Im not sure if all Stone wool is made equally.

I once used blankets as well( producers choice to be exact) and while they work to make a really dead " booth" using pvc pipes it also sounded muddy and lifeless. I will find other use for the blankets, maybe on a wall to tame reflections but not as my booth.

Many people say that blankets aren't good for the low part of the spectrum to which I partially agree. But I bet that changes the thicker the blanket layers become. I suppose it depends on the airflow properties, thickness and density of the blankets as well. Pretty sure if you over do it it will start to become reflective

What you COULD do is maybe use a series of blankets draped over 3 'T' structures. This way you can make them thicker without completely surrounding yourself in them, basically blanket gobos but when I did this they seemed a bit reflective in the low mids to my ears

Alternatively, what I once did, was to make 3 7ft tall WOOD Gobos, 2 ft wide, 8 inches deep, filled with 12 inches of knauf fluffy ecobatts wrapped in polyester fabric and made a 'booth' with it. It sounds MUCH better and the absorption sounds more even and broadband. You may want to consider a similar approach if you don't want to treat your entire room, for vocals and some other sources only.

What you want is relatively even absorption across the spectrum. Blankets certainly will not give that and 2 inches of insulation won't either, so I'd start looking into 4 inches of a rigid solution or 8+inches of a fluffy one. I Used 12 inches ( compressed to roughly 10) because I wanted no doubts as to the broadband nature of my solution and I got a great deal on it. With 8 'batts' of 2x4 at 12inches, i was golden. Yea, 12 might be overkill for vocals only.

Instead of wood, you can use this idea to make 3 or 4 pvc gobos.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/danabre...diy-gobos/amp/

Wood Panels are relatively easy to make but the initial investment might not be worth it if you don't have tools already. With pvc, all you need is pipe, pipe cutter( 20 bux) and some glue ( if doing the gobo idea). With wood you need WOOD, nails and/Or glue,staple gun, staples, drill set, and the inconvenience of getting everything perfectly square and even. Even getting the wood cut can be an inconvenience say if you don't have a saw/ don't want to or lowes or home depots machine is broken. WOOD MAY be expensive in the long run but some of the panels I've made ended up unintentionally selling to further more efficient ideas so I broke even and have more tools when needed for other stuff. If you're resourceful and know how to get free wood or know how to break down pallets and stuff then panels can be cheaper

Also, I personally don't think it's a good idea to completely close yourself off in such a small space. That probably contributes to the muddiness and boxiness of some booths. So for the structure I'm experimenting with I will leave the walkway open. In fact a booth is really not recommended at all

An idea I'm actually experimenting with right now is revisiting the pvc 'booth' idea with measurements to accommodate 2x4 panels of insulation instead of blankets. PVC pipes and fittings are like adult legos and you can take them apart when needed. With wood, once built, youre stuck with permanent structures and PVC is MODULAR in that you can EASILY make things smaller or bigger and EASILY take things apart and store when not needed.

One thing With the pipes is they resonate. What I've done to combat this is to loosely fill the cavity with fluffy insulation but not to the point they become too heavy.

Totally up to you if you want to go to a studio or not. I've invested in a lifelong solution that will save me money and furthering skills in different areas over time and blowing money on studio time doesn't fit my self sufficiency agenda.. However that comes at the expense of time( learning) itself So you are paying one way or another

Last edited by Donnyten; 3 weeks ago at 03:18 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search