The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio conversion; Garage w/roofspace.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Best way to deal with a roofspace?

I'm moving to a property with a reasonable-sized garage (7m by 3.7m by 2.4m) that has a roofspace (1.5m at apex) above a 'drop' ceiling (~0.3m) constructed around the beams. (some plans attached)

Ideally, I'd like to keep access to it for storage (there's currently an access hole in the center of the ceiling), but I'm also aware that coupling any inner walls from the room-within-a-room I'm planning to this existing ceiling will cause problems for my attempts to soundproof the garage (for rehearsing, recording and mixing).

Currently my plan is to build a second ceiling atop my room-within-a-room, and to locate a liftable panel of it directly below the existing hatch, then make a new, thicker hatch for the original 'drop' ceiling and fill both it and the 'drop' ceiling with insulation.

Does this seem like the best option given my situation?

Cheers for any help/advice you can give!
Attached Thumbnails
Studio conversion; Garage w/roofspace.-garage-plan-_2.jpg   Studio conversion; Garage w/roofspace.-garage-plan-studio-_2.jpg  

Last edited by Raoul153; 4 weeks ago at 10:15 AM.. Reason: probably too many q's at once!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search