The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap and efficient porus material - basotect or sponge
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cheap and efficient porus material - basotect or sponge

Hi,

Basotect, aka melamine foam is really efficient for acoustic treatment

BUT, as i don't want to put too much budget on it (unfortunately), i found an idea ..

If it's efficient, building panels with these could be a great idea ? What do you think ?

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32966...chweb201603_55
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by klypso View Post
What do you think ?
I'm questioning your mental health.
Old 2 weeks ago
...and to add something productive: Acoustic treatment is expensive. Less so if you DIY.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I typically see basotect being used with VPR's not as a porous absorbant. In my opinion, unfaced r-30 attic insulation rolls are the best bang for the buck when it comes to porous absorbant.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
...and to add something productive: Acoustic treatment is expensive. Less so if you DIY.
I understand why you're such a ********* https://www.gearslutz.com/board/memb...johannburkard/

I don't have your money, but you also don't have knowledge or questioning about a cheap way to treat a room

Basotect is 50% more efficient than rockwool, so why answering this way ? If you don't know just stfu

Jason Foi thanks for the answer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Basotect is very commonly used as porous absorption in Europe. It is highly effective but also very expensive. (One of the main advantages is that it is very light and rigid, you just stick or hang it against the wall. No framing or fabric needed.)

But I don’t see why you would want to save a couple of euros to have a 2cm thick sheet cut up into tiny pieces. You’d have to glue them all together, but the result will be more glue than foam.

If your idea is to stuff these in a sort of trap, It might do something. But you’re going to need a ton of these making it probably less effective and more costly than regular sheets of basotect.

If you want basotect get proper basotect, flexolan or schaumstofflager are a big distributor in Germany of the stuff and can cut up any dimension you want at a reasonable cost.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

You can buy bigger pieces there, a client of mine has ordered 12 m^3 of 1000 x 600 x 200 mm pieces.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klypso View Post
Basotect is 50% more efficient than rockwool, so why answering this way ? If you don't know just stfu
It´s not as simple as that ...

Common Gas Flow Resistivity numbers.

Learn how velocity based (porous only) absorbers work and then use the GFR values in a simulation tool to observe the effect of different options (GFR values and depth).

There´s a reason you normally don´t see Basotect in proper studio design … Normal wool (assuming suitable properties, GFR and density for given depth) will perform as good or better than Basotect at a much lower cost.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Some people just don't like mineral wool as they suspect it to be a health hazard (I don't agree and I know working with Melamine (cutting it) is at least as annoying as mineral wool), and the foam from the far east is not very expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ve cut many sheets of basotect and had zero irritation to skin and eyes compared to the very itchy mineral or glass fibres and it produced next to no dust when cutting with a sharp blade.
Aso handling and installing uncut or precut sheets produces no dust or loose fibres. Whereas mineral wool shouldn’t be used without covering it. It doesn’t release any dust (or fibres like in mineral wool) over time, when uncovered.

The mineral wool fibres may not be a serious health hazard or be carcenogenic but, regardless of the origin, any dust is not great for your lungs.

I replaced all the rockwool in my current studio with basotect and I couldn’t be happier.

Yes it is much more expensive than rockwool. But cost isn’t the only factor when building a studio.

I’m building a studio where the ceiling will be treated with basotect. It doesn’t require any framing and weighs almost nothing. We’ll be covering the whole ceiling with a camira fabric, but purely for esthetical purposes. Not to structurally contain the treatment or its fibers.

You could also just leave it uncovered, which is also cost and labor efficient.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
the foam from the far east is not very expensive.
Do you know if the Chinese foam has exactly the same composition as Basotect?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Do you know if the Chinese foam has exactly the same composition as Basotect?
Yes, he ordered a small sample we tested. After that he ordered the lot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
Yes, he ordered a small sample we tested. After that he ordered the lot.
Do you mind sharing which vendor was used and has it been delivered yet? I've had great and also not so great experiences with overseas ordering. Good to have the info of a reputable source.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

i’ll ask him when I see him.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search