The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help acoustically cutting off a portion of my room
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Need help acoustically cutting off a portion of my room

Hello again everyone! A couple weeks ago I tried to find an answer for this issue but couldn't come up with any concrete solutions.

A portion of my new studio room (outlined in red on the first photo below) has a lowered ceiling because there is a staircase on the other side of the wall that's cutting into the room. My goal is to acoustically cut that portion of the room off, so my room is symmetrical and my listening position is as balanced as possible.

The pictures I have provided below depict my room layout, as well as where I want to place my acoustic treatment. (Sorry for the poor quality, I'm at work and had to come up with something on my phone)

My limitations:

-I can't move my listening position for various reasons

-I can't damage the floor, ceiling or walls too much as I am in an apartment

-I don't know what my walls are made of

My first and cheapest idea was to just to install a curtain rod and cut that portion of the room off with acoustic/moving blankets, but I feel like that might deaden the sound too much on one side.

My second idea was just to build some kind of wood frame that I can slide into place without damaging the room, maybe eventually fill it with insulation. This option would just be a huge pain.

I know I won't be able to achieve perfect acoustic symmetry. So I'm looking for a relatively effective, and if at all possible, cheap solution.

I appreciate any suggestions, thank you all!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help acoustically cutting off a portion of my room-71501649_3171112676266439_4099544772203511808_n.jpg   Need help acoustically cutting off a portion of my room-71764761_3171112702933103_1054026949153783808_n.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you put up enough treatment to tame the modal activity in the room, it will become a non issue. Acoustical symmetry and visual symmetry arent necessarily the same thing. A large freestanding gobo where the first redlection point should be could help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search