The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I use rectangular rods in primitive root diffusers
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can I use rectangular rods in primitive root diffusers

Hi
I want to build some primitive root diffusers for my listening room. For design reasons, I would like to use rectangular rods, instead of square ones. Immediately, I think that rods with the dimensions of 23mm * 48mm would be better than 48mm * 48mm, since it will diffuse give a broader frequency range. Will such rods do any harm to the sound of the panel? Am I missing something? Will the diffusion be less effective? Less linear? Rectangular rod won't give the -45% degrees pattern across the diffuser, but does that really matter?

Cheers
Bjarne
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkj View Post
Hi
I want to build some primitive root diffusers for my listening room. For design reasons, I would like to use rectangular rods, instead of square ones. Immediately, I think that rods with the dimensions of 23mm * 48mm would be better than 48mm * 48mm, since it will diffuse give a broader frequency range. Will such rods do any harm to the sound of the panel? Am I missing something? Will the diffusion be less effective? Less linear? Rectangular rod won't give the -45% degrees pattern across the diffuser, but does that really matter?

Cheers
Bjarne
The sound reflected from a numerical diffuser is never smooth or linear, it is of course a gigantic comb filter.
So don't worry about the shape of the rods.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks!
Makes sens. I`ll just go ahead then .

Mvh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search