The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another ventilation question, with badly scrawled diagrams!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Another ventilation question, with badly scrawled diagrams!

Hi everyone.

I'm about to start building my studio. There's been some really annoying setbacks with structural engineer/ architect dragging their feet which is really annoying, but it looks like the foundation at least should be poured this year (hopefully).

My original thread was this one - Thoughts on my completely from scratch garden studio design? . I took quite a lot of the comments on board, thanks for all the input

I'm now thinking ahead to ventilating the place. I've done a fair amount of reading here and in various other places on the way to figure out a way to do it, and I think I might be getting closeish. I'd really appreciate any views that emerge.

End profile shows the sort of thing I'm building - ducting running through the roof void. I'm currently thinking of air being forced into the building from this side,like this.

Top Profile is an idea of where I'm currently thinking the ducts come into the room. I'm thinking fresh air coming in to the diagonal corner from the door, old air being taken out at the same corner as the door, venting to the side of the room. The wiggles are baffle boxes. I'm all ears if a different configuration would make more sense!

My dodgy pen additions to the drawings aren't to scale, and I'm finding it pretty tricky visualising the amount of space that the baffle boxes take up. My baffles will look like this sort of thing. I saw a link to a calculator for the dimensions of such a design a while ago, and completely can't find the link, does anyone know where it may be? I'm wondering about how big, how many corners to have, all that sort of stuff. If baffles in the void will force the ceiling to be too low I will put them inside the room.

The last question I have at the moment is AC. I was originally thinking of having a separate AC unit in the room, but someone has pointed out that it may be better to have a unit that cools / warms as it brings air into the room. Is there a list of pros / cons anywhere? Obviously both options will have some of my cooled / warmed air escaping to the outside, so what's the most efficient way to do this to avoid wasting a ton of energy? (And also what's most cost effective to install?)

I know there are a ton of questions here, many thanks to anyone that has the time to reply!

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1234 View Post
My baffles ... I saw a link to a calculator for the dimensions of such a design a while ago, and completely can't find the link, does anyone know where it may be?
It is not a calculator but Rod Gervais's baffle design is in the first post in the topic HVAC Baffle Box Construction Plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1234 View Post
... AC ... Is there a list of pros / cons anywhere? Obviously both options will have some of my cooled / warmed air escaping to the outside, so what's the most efficient way to do this to avoid wasting a ton of energy? (And also what's most cost effective to install?)
The answer will be dependent on the climate in your part of the world so do please put your location in your profile.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I'm in the UK, just north of London. I've updated my profile, thanks for the heads up

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search