The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mindfield Recording and Mixing V2 construction
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mindfield Recording and Mixing V2 construction

So we just decided to commit, things are getting real, and suddenly I've discovered a flaw in my design.

I really want a double wall for the iso rooms, but the problem is, it will screw up the acoustics to some degree, as well as cost significantly more. Right now, with the single wall between them, I'm in the bolt zone for a all the rooms. If I double the wall between them and the main room I would be just outside of it in the iso rooms. They're still pretty spacious, so I wonder if the acoustics damage might be fairly subtle; thoughts??

The fact that this surprised me is a testament to how little I believed this build would actually happen.

The tracking rooms will all have 16ft ceilings, the control room's will be 10ft. For some reason the contractor didn't include those facts here.
Attached Thumbnails
Mindfield Recording and Mixing V2 construction-0.jpg  

Last edited by steveschizoid; 3 weeks ago at 09:54 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bolt is obsolete. Do not worry about that. The cost of double stud you will have to judge for yourself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I made some significant changes including angling and doubling the wall between the isos and the big room, as well as doubling the wall between the isos. My new dimensions don't take into account the new double walls however, so my question is, where should I sacrifice space - big room or isos? Drum iso or small iso?
Attached Thumbnails
Mindfield Recording and Mixing V2 construction-15727679952557644631518186274223.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I made some significant changes including angling and doubling the wall between the isos and the big room, as well as doubling the wall between the isos. My new dimensions don't take into account the new double walls however, so my question is, where should I sacrifice space - big room or isos? Drum iso or small iso?
Why the angling? Am I blind I can not see the control room. I do not understand why "sacrifice." The double walls are a reqhirement. Big room and drum for space.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
The tracking rooms will all have 16ft ceilings, the control room's will be 10ft. For some reason the contractor didn't include those facts here.
Inside the double ceiling? Just to be sure, there's little point to only double framing walls. What makes it work is that each room is built like a shed or a garage, completely freestanding inside the outer structure...make EXTRA sure to communicate this to both your contractor and inspector. People not experienced with building a studio will casually say "throw some lag screws from one frame to another for sway bracing". In normal construction it's no big deal, but for us it is.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had problems with poor contrast. What is the alignment in the control room? It is hard to tell but I recommend a 36" minimum for door width.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Why the angling? Am I blind I can not see the control room. I do not understand why "sacrifice." The double walls are a requirement. Big room and drum for space.
Angling the wall was a suggestion from GIK to prevent flutter echo and give different tonal options, and I think it was a good one. But if you look at the dimensions in the tracking area you'll see they don't take into account a double wall with 2 x 5/8" drywall and an inch air gap. So doubling that wall and the one between the iso booths will result in slightly smaller rooms, and the question is which rooms should give up that space.

By alignment do you mean where the speakers will be?

I'm still grappling with that and it depends on where I put the doors. Where the doors as diagrammed are would lead to the speakers being on the storage area side, but that would rule out putting a door in between the storage room and control room, so I'm considering moving the door and putting the speakers on the other end.

Last edited by steveschizoid; 1 week ago at 09:48 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Inside the double ceiling? Just to be sure, there's little point to only double framing walls. What makes it work is that each room is built like a shed or a garage, completely freestanding inside the outer structure...make EXTRA sure to communicate this to both your contractor and inspector. People not experienced with building a studio will casually say "throw some lag screws from one frame to another for sway bracing". In normal construction it's no big deal, but for us it is.
I've been consulting with a soundproofing company (John Hile at https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/ I'll be buying the green glue and clips/hats for the ceiling from them - actually, my contractor has possibly already ordered them), so I'm fairly confident in that regard. My issue is the fact that my dimensions are not reflecting the resulting reality in the tracking area. The double wall takes up about a foot, and I've failed to take that into account in the case of the angled wall and the one between the isos.

Your studio looks pretty awesome. Best of luck with it and your ankle. I broke a foot a year ago and only recently has it stopped hurting.

Last edited by steveschizoid; 1 week ago at 09:35 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search