The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Build 500-year-old French Basement
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Studio Build 500-year-old French Basement

I’m looking for an acoustician/studio designer who can help me build a new studio in France. I am in the planning phase.

The space is weird but I don’t have a choice. There is a 40m2 live room with high ceilings, and a 40m2 control room with a very low curved ceiling (2.2m at the center). It’s underground and completely enclosed in rock and dirt.

Is it possible to build a great-sounding control room in this space? I will attach some pictures. I apologize they are upside down, I don’t know how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Build 500-year-old French Basement-e694064b-3ccf-468a-b60b-5141b0f5ff23.jpg   Studio Build 500-year-old French Basement-69c4ec71-2e48-4f52-abb9-09c261bed0bd.jpg   Studio Build 500-year-old French Basement-3b8b92ec-e55c-499c-95bf-98ba44b69b94.jpg  

Last edited by chrismeraz; 3 weeks ago at 05:06 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Your photos are showing upside-down! Either that, or your room has a curved floor and flat ceiling...

It's going to be hard to get decent acoustic response in there. The two reasons are, as you already figured out: the concave ceiling, and the low height. There's a possible third issue: the length and width. You said 40m2, but didn't say how long and wide the room is.

OK, it's not impossible to use that room, but it's not going to be easy to treat it, and the results aren't going to be fantastic. But they can still be decent, and usable, depending on what you want to do in there. Is this going to be a high-end commercial facility, for turning out hit albums for A-list stars? Probably not gonna happen! Is this going to be a personal hobby studio for having fun with your own mixes, entertaining friends and family, and mixing occasional demos for acquaintances? Sure, it can work just fine for that! I'm guessing that the purpose is probably somewhere in between those two extremes. The more your needs are towards "high-end pro studio", the less likely this room will serve the purpose. But the closer your needs are to "personal hobby studio", the more likely it is that you can achieve success. I've done worse rooms (smaller floor area) with success, as wanted by the studio owner, so there is hope. It's all a matter of expectations vs. reality. There's also the issue of budget, time, and dedication; With a lot of money, plenty of time to design and build and treat and tweak, and real dedication to excellence in design and construction, it can be quite good. On a shoe-string budget, or if you need to have it running by next week, or if precision isn't your thing, then it's not going to be very good at all.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive and specific than that! But hopefully it helps a bit.

- Stuart -
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes I forgot to give you the dimensions! 10 m x 4 m x 2.2 m.

I have a big budget for this.

I figure the concave ceiling wouldn’t be a problem if I could completely cover it with 40cm of fiberglass. However, I can only put about 20cm of insulation before I’m bumping my head on the ceiling, so I’m looking for someone with more experience than me to help me come up with options.

My goal is to work in there every single day and to be able to hear exactly what I’m doing. It isn’t a hobby, it’s how I make my living.

Last edited by chrismeraz; 3 weeks ago at 10:59 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Can you dig deeper?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tried! But it’s all rock underneath one inch of dirt.

I’m in touch with a professional designer. I’ll let you know what we come up with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search