The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mounting 5x8 ft cloud w C channel?
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Mounting 5x8 ft cloud w C channel?

I'm trying to mount this cloud nice and close to a vaulted ceiling. The idea is 3 channels on the ceiling and lag bolts on the frame of the cloud, bolts w heads wide enough to grab in the channel.

Thoughts? Any other methods to get it close and tight?
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerj View Post
I'm trying to mount this cloud nice and close to a vaulted ceiling. The idea is 3 channels on the ceiling and lag bolts on the frame of the cloud, bolts w heads wide enough to grab in the channel.

Thoughts? Any other methods to get it close and tight?
I used eye bolts and link or two of heavy duty chain on my clouds. I had access to a drywall lift to help hoist them into place.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
I used eye bolts and link or two of heavy duty chain on my clouds. I had access to a drywall lift to help hoist them into place.
Thanks. The trouble I see is that I don't want the space of a few chain links bw the ceiling and the cloud. What I want is to tight to get hands in there to secure
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hang all thread from the ceiling, drill all the way through your clouds frame, slide the cloud up to the ceiling and secure it with washers and acorn nuts?
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Adding to what everyone else said: hang it safely! Oversize everything in your suspension, and don't use open hooks: having a heavy object hanging above your head is serious business. Follow the guidelines for theater rigging: rate everything at ten times the actual weight. So if your cloud weighs (for example) 50 kg, then use enough hardware to support 500 kg. Spread the load between several mounting points, not just two or three. And only use hardware that has full-circle mountings: in other words not just open hooks, but hooks that have a sleeve, clip, or screw thread that closes the gap after you hang it. And make sure that everything is firmly attached with deep screw threads penetrating far into proper load-bearing structure. Not just a few nails, or toggle bolts on drywall...

All of this is even more important as hanging in the right place / at the right angle. But often neglected by folks trying to build on a budget. Don't skimp on safety!

- Stuart -
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Adding to what everyone else said: hang it safely! Oversize everything in your suspension, and don't use open hooks: having a heavy object hanging above your head is serious business. Follow the guidelines for theater rigging: rate everything at ten times the actual weight. So if your cloud weighs (for example) 50 kg, then use enough hardware to support 500 kg. Spread the load between several mounting points, not just two or three. And only use hardware that has full-circle mountings: in other words not just open hooks, but hooks that have a sleeve, clip, or screw thread that closes the gap after you hang it. And make sure that everything is firmly attached with deep screw threads penetrating far into proper load-bearing structure. Not just a few nails, or toggle bolts on drywall...

All of this is even more important as hanging in the right place / at the right angle. But often neglected by folks trying to build on a budget. Don't skimp on safety!

- Stuart -
+1
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

C-channel is not that deep, so the lag bolts would have to be fairly short. If it's possible to use bolt/nut combo, it's a better choice. There may be inserts available to thread a machine bolt into. But there is the problem of aligning the holes that way. This would be easier in a room with a smaller ceiling.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Hang all thread from the ceiling, drill all the way through your clouds frame, slide the cloud up to the ceiling and secure it with washers and acorn nuts?
+1

Sammys are great for this-

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Ch...iABEgJAZ_D_BwE

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search