The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording in a corner
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Recording in a corner

Hello Everybody,

I struggle with my new apartment because I have low ceilings 2m30 (7ft50) all going to a corner (see pic). As in my previous place I put the mic in the corner with a partition behind (see pic).
The recordings sound so bad as if I was in a tube with a lot of low-end (facing the wall or not).

I've seen a lot of threads about bass trap to place in corners but I am still puzzled:

Why is it that people have good sound in recording booth with very low ceilings and corners everywere and I cannot manage it eventhough my setup is very close to a recording booth (the partition behind is isolated even if you don't see it in the pic)?

All answers much appreciated.

Good day to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Recording in a corner-img_20191022_223827.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

All the surfaces are sound absorbent.

Bricasti is your friend.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You would probably get better results if you turned around to face the other way, so the absorption is behind you when you are singing. And also get rid of the wood plank standing upright in your picture. Also, getting out of the corner out along the wall, with better, thicker absorption behind you, would help. But there's no magical solutions: a decent sized, properly treated room would be the best. The above is just going to get you small improvements: a proper room would get you big improvements.

- Stuart -
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
You would probably get better results if you turned around to face the other way, so the absorption is behind you when you are singing. And also get rid of the wood plank standing upright in your picture. Also, getting out of the corner out along the wall, with better, thicker absorption behind you, would help. But there's no magical solutions: a decent sized, properly treated room would be the best. The above is just going to get you small improvements: a proper room would get you big improvements.

- Stuart -
I second that. Consider the polar pattern of the mic. It's most sensitive from the side you're singing into (assuming it's not figure-8) and least so from the back. So, if your options are limited, you're better off trying to eliminate the reflections that might bounce back into the "singing side" of the mic. You'll still get some reverb in the signal but, it will cut down the level of early reflection and at least give you a clearer "main" vocal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

- Stuart -
Thank you very much for your answer.
The wood plank has foam inside and when I remove it I have way more reverb coming from the room. I'll avoid the corner and go in the middle of the room or along a straight wall. Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop View Post
I second that. Consider the polar pattern of the mic. It's most sensitive from the side you're singing into (assuming it's not figure-8) and least so from the back. So, if your options are limited, you're better off trying to eliminate the reflections that might bounce back into the "singing side" of the mic. You'll still get some reverb in the signal but, it will cut down the level of early reflection and at least give you a clearer "main" vocal.
Thank you!
Ok so avoiding facing the corner with all the noise coming from behind. I'll try different setups and see which is the best.
Thank you for your answer!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What is your singing style? What type of music? I get pretty decent results using a handheld mic in a small space. Really depends on what you trying to achieve
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
What is your singing style? What type of music? I get pretty decent results using a handheld mic in a small space. Really depends on what you trying to achieve
Several types cuz I work with several people but mainly soul, reggae & hip hop
Thank you for you answer
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

- Stuart -
Just a bit of follow up:
Turns out I tried all the different setups facing a wall, facing the room, on the side, in the middle etc. And then I come back to the original setup and it's workin just fine. I mean the difference is astonishing. Why? I don't have a single clue. A mystery since I've changed absolutely nothing except moving the mic around.... Maybe a bad wiring or...?
Anyway thanks for the help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search