The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording booth construction in home studio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Recording booth construction in home studio.

I've been relying on my home studio more and more in past few years as with most of the jobs I get the fact that the recording costs should be included in my fee seems to be taken for granted. This makes it so that using other studios for smaller projects, as I normally used to do, has become unviable for me.
I've already had a vocal booth (3m x 2m) for a few years which as proven to be invaluable, I've even squeezed small drum kits in it with surprisably usable results.
But I don't want to be responsible for perfectly nice drummers leaving us due to asphyxia, and as a lot of my work has veered towards production for other artists I bit the bullet and began (with professional help) adapting another room (4.30m x 3.20m) to an instrumental booth.
The rooms above and underneath are still my property, the only neighbours are on the left (looking towards the window).

These are pictures from day one, we started from the floor. They are bad pictures.

Day 1

The room in its original (shabby) state

Lifting the floor boards and filling the gap with rock wool (and managing to cut into a water pipe in the process)

Wooden joists over the floor boards, with decoupling rubber underneath

Rock wool between the joists, neoprene over them and first layer of flooring (chip wood).

DAY 2

Removing the radiator proved trickier than expected, the plumbing in this house has been put in by a deranged sadist.

Perimeter of the floor's first layer sealed with acoustic sealant

Wooden frame on walls

Rock wool in wooden frame

Resilient channels and first layer of sound check plasterboard on the walls

DAY 3

Wooden joists on the ceiling

Rock wool between the ceiling joists - not pleasant when gravity works against you...

Layer of sound check plasterboard to cover the ceiling, which will then be sealed.
The window has been partially blocked as the thick glass required to cover it completely would have bean extremely heavy and expensive. The outer window has been sealed.
First layer of sound check plasterboards over the wall's frame and resilient channels.

DAY 4

Second layer of sound check plasterboard on the walls, with Green Glue in between:

Began rendering the walls

Will resume on Monday

Day 5 and 6

Second layer over the floor: sound check plasterboard with Green Glue:

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296426.jpg

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296425.jpg

Sealing the edges and the joints:

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296435.jpg

Another layer of chipboard to protect the plasterboard, again with Green Glue sandwiched in between. There will be anti impact carpet on top:

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296441.jpg

Preparing the frame for the double door. These are solid fire doors, they will also be reinforced with acoustic matting :

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296445.jpg

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296446.jpg

We would have hanged both doors, but as we were carrying the first one up the stairs, the second one was gone with the wind. We literally left it in the front garden for five minutes.

Welcome to London!

Will update tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa226354.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa226358.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa226359.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa226364.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa236370.jpg  

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa236372.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa236375.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa236376.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa236378.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa246386.jpg  

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa246389.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa246390.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa246411.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa256422.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa256423.jpg  

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296425.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296426.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296435.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296441.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296442.jpg  

Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296445.jpg   Recording booth construction in home studio.-pa296446.jpg  

Last edited by microwave; 2 weeks ago at 06:49 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Bump - added pictures from the second day of works
Old 3 weeks ago
Bump - images from day 3.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Subscribed! please keep updating.
I have a room with almost identical measurements, and using it for recording. So many of the builds on here are for control rooms, I really appreciate yours.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just a thought.... If that existing wall was already a standard wall, adding a new frame/r channel (which decoupling twice isnt advised anyway) you are creating a 3 leaf msmsm system which is distroying your isolation attempt. Hopefully its not how it appears...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Just a thought.... If that existing wall was already a standard wall, adding a new frame/r channel (which decoupling twice isnt advised anyway) you are creating a 3 leaf msmsm system which is distroying your isolation attempt. Hopefully its not how it appears...
Good point, but don't worry, its not
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How did you design/calculate thaat floating floor?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
How did you design/calculate thaat floating floor?
I didn't, I had someone do the design and calculations for me. I've been advised not to attempt calculating anything ever again sometimes in secondary school.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
I didn't, I had someone do the design and calculations for me.
What we are all getting at here, then, is that whoever did the design and calculations, actually doesn't have a clue what they are doing. Regardless of whether or not it is even really floating (which I doubt!), what you have actually built there, is a resonant chamber. It will resonate at a frequency given by this equation:

f= 43 / SQRT (M x D)

Where M is the surface density of the floor deck, and D is the depth of the cavity.

That's the same way that resonant membrane traps are built, except that they usually stand up vertically instead of laying down horizontally, like your floor, but the principle is the same.

Do the math, and you'll see that the frequency is rather high: well into the audio range.

And if it also turns out that it is NOT floating (as I suspect), then what you have done there will not only fail to isolate to the room below, but will probably also amplify sounds around that frequency.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that floor is not going to do what you are hoping it will do. In fact, it will do the exact opposite.

That's what Bert and Jason were hinting at.

(And that's in addition to Jason's very correct comment about the potential 3-leaf wall: another large problem, if it is 3-leaf).

- Stuart -
Old 3 weeks ago
Thank you Stuart I’ll keep
that in mind whilst I’ll be drawing my last breath under the collapsing building or the neighbors’ lynch mob
Old 2 weeks ago
Bump - pictures from day 4
Old 2 weeks ago
Bump - added pictures from days 5 and 6
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Seriously?? People go about pinching doors in your neighborhood??
Sorry for your loss.

What about air? That room looks really tight!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Seriously?? People go about pinching doors in your neighborhood??
Sorry for your loss.

What about air? That room looks really tight!
Apparently they do. Really, we were all speechless.
Air ducts would have been way too complicated and expensive, we’ll open the doors whenever necessary between takes. We’ve been doing it with the vocal booth upstairs and, unless somebody gets locked in and forgotten - which is extremely unlikely - it works fine.
Old 1 week ago
Just a quick update, things are stationary here because I'm waiting for the glass and the frame for the window.
Meanwhile, I've sealed the walls with primer and PVA, punched the hole and fitted a pipe for running the multicore to the control room, fitted the power points, attached acoustic mats and fitted neoprene air tight seals to the double door.
I'll update as soon as the window will be here, hopefully the thread won't get locked.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search