The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Seating position and room acoustics
Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

Seating position and room acoustics

Hey guys,

Moving to a new house and i am setting up a small room as a studio. I am including a drawing on how the room looks from the side and the top. Shape A is looking the room from the top. Shape B is looking the room from the side. The dimensions are 3.2m length x 3.2m width.

As you can see from the diagram the roof part that is closer to the window is bending downwards. Therefore the room is not a perfect cube. Also the room has two doors.

Any advice on which is the best seating position according to the room shape?
Also any advice on room treatment is more than welcome.

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Seating position and room acoustics-room.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Interpolated from the diagramme: 3.2m x 3.2m x 2.56m with doors 96cm wide.

If this is the most suitable room for a studio in your new house I would ask whether you should be looking at this house or another one as a small square room with doors in corners is far from ideal. But if this your dream room then treat the room you will have, not one you don't.

It would be worth measuring the room with your monitors on the window wall.

For comparison, set up facing the wall to the left of the window. Small rooms need lots more treatment than larger rooms and the back corners are normally important, more so in such a small room. If you face the wall on the left then both doors will need movable traps which may become tedious to have to move them everytime you come and go.

What is behind each door?
What are the floor, each of the walls and ceiling made of?
How much isolation do you need?
What do intend to use the room for?
What is your budget?
Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you for the reply Starlight

Besides the width and length of the room the rest i am not sure about the size. I haven't moved there yet.

I can't be looking into another house because i just bought this one. I can only work with what i have and this is my only option.

The door opposite the window leads to the bedroom and a bathroom. The other door is a small closet. I guess during production i can have it open so the clothes in it can act as a bass trap. Also it will break the square shape of the room.

The floor is made of wood. The rest of the materials i am not sure.
The room will be used for music production, mixing and mastering.
For room treatment i will use a carpet under my seat, DIY rockwool panels and DIY diffuser (with wooden blocks). Bass traps i will purchase proper ones.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethist View Post
The other door is a small closet. I guess during production i can have it open so the clothes in it can act as a bass trap. Also it will break the square shape of the room.
Symmetry is important from the listening position forward. Whether you face the window or the left wall you will probably have different masses to your left and right.

Quote:
The floor is made of wood.
I should have also asked what the floor sits on. Is is solid, like on the ground? Or with a void underneath?

Quote:
The room will be used for music production, mixing and mastering.
So, no recording. That makes it a little bit easier. But mastering, I doubt it but it would be better if a studio designer or someone who has had a mastering studio chips in.

Quote:
Bass traps i will purchase proper ones.
DIY bass traps also count as proper ones. Be careful of marketing talk if buying premade as some are sold too thin to work as bass traps.

That just leaves two unanswered questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
How much isolation do you need?
What is your budget?
Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Symmetry is important from the listening position forward. Whether you face the window or the left wall you will probably have different masses to your left and right.:
This is my main concern for now. What is the best listening direction. I'm attaching a picture from the room. Actually the ceiling gets higher as it gets away from the window.

Quote:
I should have also asked what the floor sits on. Is is solid, like on the ground? Or with a void underneath?:
It's on the 1st floor but i will add insulation between the 2 floors.

Quote:
So, no recording. That makes it a little bit easier. But mastering, I doubt it but it would be better if a studio designer or someone who has had a mastering studio chips in.:
Everything is in the box.
My setup is just a pair of Eve sc207. Much different from what mastering engineers use i guess. To be honest the production and mixing are more of a priority.

Quote:
DIY bass traps also count as proper ones. Be careful of marketing talk if buying premade as some are sold too thin to work as bass traps.:
Good to know. Internet is full of tutorials, but if you have some that are a must read, please send me a link.

Quote:
That just leaves two unanswered questions:
How much isolation i need? Not sure how to answer this, as my priority and main question is how to get the best listening result from this room. This also affects the isolation question i guess.
Budget will start with about €200-€300 to begin and then make necessary adjustments for the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Seating position and room acoustics-screenshot-2019-10-22-19.18.32.png  
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Internet is full of tutorials, but if you have some that are a must read, please send me a link.
Gearslutz > Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc

Perhaps start with the 2nd sticky topic and browse others to find something that matches your taste, DIY skill, etc. or just gives you enough knowledge that you can avoid buying a mistake.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search