The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another awkward space question
Old 3 weeks ago
Another awkward space question

Like many of us I have found myself in a box room. With weird angles. A door in a tricky spot. A window in a tricky spot. And nearly square.

Hurray!

I have had to lose some space after a loft conversion but I now have the room to myself. So swings and roundabouts.

When it was less square the acoustic treatmet behind the desk were similar but the other panels at the rear of the room and the clouds would have made its dual purpose as study for the wife impossible. There was also a cupboard so it was never perfect.

I have panels already so just diffusion to add if it’s even worth doing. Couple of pics of precious setup.

Pic attached of desk, DJ setup (proposed move to other side of room) and proposed floorplan. Any feedback for using the space better? I can only see things in one place at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Another awkward space question-a65afe33-97a6-4066-8c12-69d13e3446e9.jpg   Another awkward space question-6ae4cc85-d966-4d08-addb-812c826e73fc.jpg   Another awkward space question-dfb5d2c7-9368-4f57-8121-0572062ed3b6.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Diffusion really is not going to work in a room that size besides maybe stop flutter echo but that really is not your main problem. It seems you have all the bases covered so I would just add more trapping in corners. the wall behind you could also use some thick panels if you can swing it.
Old 3 weeks ago
I thought as much re diffusion and I don't want it to have a potentially negative impact on the sound.

Ok think I’m on the right track thanks for the feedback but I just went and had a play around with the size of the panels (homemade) and wall to ceiling isn’t going to fit...

So slight tweak maybe required.

I might be restricted to the below but I can only work with what I have and this seems as good a job as I can do...

2 of the 4” panels at the front corners
1 of the 2”panel on each side reflection
2 x 2” cloud
2 x 4” on back wall
1 x 2” behind desk
1 x 2” in place of diffuser on drawing

Some actual pics attached if you imagine the middle of the front and back wall using one of the 2” panels (panoramas so makes it look larger than it is) and then 2 as ceiling clouds.
Attached Thumbnails
Another awkward space question-ae91bc79-fad5-4ad6-9812-b809e7f3330d.jpg   Another awkward space question-9e047244-9b42-4f1b-9738-ab62d8626c85.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Some of the panels are ready bags bought years ago. Seems from their website they have discontinued the frames that were available separately.

They sag a fair bit because I use eco wool (I think it was a long time ago) instead of other more rigid materials. The acoustic properties are good but this is a disadvantage in this case it has disadvantages.

I was wondering has anyone used the GIK frame with a ready bag? Looks like dimensions are good although may not be available in the uk. I’ve sent them a message so let’s see just wondering if anyone solved the issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Just had a reply not available in UK diy it is
Old 3 weeks ago
Measure first before you DIY. I also have a feeling that despite that room being so small, 4" won't do much.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Measure first before you DIY. I also have a feeling that despite that room being so small, 4" won't do much.
You would be surprised how well 4" will work when you straddle the corner. Not that it will solve a 40hz problem but will do very well down to 65/70hz or so. You just need to put enough of them in to work.

As far as measuring it can be helpful but more for making sure you are sitting and or have the speakers in the right/best spot. Also it can just be helpful to see how well the panels are working and if you should add more.
Old 2 weeks ago
I have lost space but have plenty more wall space!!

Been laying out frames which I might get to put together when the building work is complete.

These are just the smaller panels the thicker ones are already framed. I just need to figure out a way to hold the bags in place without them falling out! I will probably reframe the larger ones too at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Another awkward space question-6c480874-6829-4c9d-98f5-0edb02f95803.jpg   Another awkward space question-5b285c94-e3ed-4a4e-a499-a51f34d5e503.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
A photo of the rough cut for the first frame...
Attached Thumbnails
Another awkward space question-119deb8a-297b-4b56-ae3b-a0806468702d.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search