The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using One KRK Rokit 8 G3 and One KRK Rokit 8 G2 in a Pair - is this a problem?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Using One KRK Rokit 8 G3 and One KRK Rokit 8 G2 in a Pair - is this a problem?

Hey Guys!

New to the forum, happy to be here. I'm a young singer/songwriter/producer/engineer. Been a real "it's rock n' roll man" kinda guy and not adhering strictly to science of this all for a while, but trying to get serious about my career as a freelance mixer/engineer and wanna start upgrading/checking out everything to make sure I can stand behind my product.

That said... don't flame me too much but a couple years ago I bought one KRK Rokit 8 G3 and another KRK Rokit 8 G2 (both used) to save some bills. Can't remember exact thought process - but mostly youthful negligence and desire to save money/spread across a bunch of different gear rather than lock down essentials. In any case, now I'm trying to make sure my setup checks out sonically so I wanna know - is this ****ing me up? I personally haven't noticed the difference, but again, I really have not been on the side of recognizing sonic/frequency intricacies outside of an artistic perspective.

I'm obviously ebbing on the side of selling the G2 and upgrading other to a G3, but money is tight and if by some shred of luck it's not that big a deal I would like to stick with what I have for as long as possible.

Thanks for your time! Look forward to hearing from you all
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You obviously don’t have a perfectly matched stereo pair, but you don’t have an apples-to-oranges mismatch either.
If I had your situation, I would put the two speakers side by side and set up some connections where I could switch an identical mono signal to both speakers, with the ability to pan or switch quickly between the two. I would match the acoustic level as exactly as possible. If they are reasonably close to sounding the same, I would adjust the EQ on the newer speaker (I think it has some EQ options) to correct any obvious differences, if that is possible. If there doesn’t seem to be any really obvious differences between the two, Id go ahead and use them. Spend your money on mics, hardware, or software. At some point you might upgrade anyway, but don’t get forced into that just because the two cabinets have different numbers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search