The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I "killing" the sound in my room with Clearsonic S2466 Sorber?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

https://www.thomann.de/dk/clearsonic..._2d_sorber.htm

I have a lot of Clearsonic S2466 and I'm starting to think that they actually make my room sonds wores. Killing a lot of the high mid frequency.

Using Sonarworks 4 the top end / high mid sounds much better in my monitors.

I have som EQ Acoustics Spectrum 2 L10C Bass Trap and some Hofa Basstrap perhaps it's better just too use them and only using the Clearsonic S2466 Sorber for vocal booth?

As you can see in the picture my room is very uregular :-)
What would you suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Am I "killing" the sound in my room with Clearsonic S2466 Sorber?-img_0821.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
What would you suggest?
I would suggest moving your speakers back so that they are next to the front wall. I would also suggest raising them up - if the headrest on the chair is at head height then the speakers certainly are not. I would suggest removing the headrest on the chair to avoid unwanted reflections from it. I would also suggest you put some absorption at the first reflection point on the ceiling, extend the back corners bass traps all the way up to the ceiling and treat the wall-ceiling corners with broadband absorption - although the last item I would leave until you have measured what I will suggest below.

It is hardly surprising that you think those absorbers are killing a lot of your high mid frequencies as they are too thin to be effective as broadband absorbers. Their usefulness will tail off down to useless at around 2kHz and lower. It looks from the photo that you have quite a few of them. Stack them at least 3 deep, 5 or deep would be better and measure the room's acoustics before and after as I think you will see a flatter frequency response but, at this point, worse decay (waterfall).

Post your mdat file and hopefully someone here will cast a critical eye over it to help you know what needs doing next.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

PS. You had ceiling absorbers 18 months ago (See Bass traps in 3 corners of a square small room). What happened?

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
PS. You had ceiling absorbers 18 months ago (See Bass traps in 3 corners of a square small room). What happened?

new room :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I would suggest moving your speakers back so that they are next to the front wall. I would also suggest raising them up - if the headrest on the chair is at head height then the speakers certainly are not. I would suggest removing the headrest on the chair to avoid unwanted reflections from it. I would also suggest you put some absorption at the first reflection point on the ceiling, extend the back corners bass traps all the way up to the ceiling and treat the wall-ceiling corners with broadband absorption - although the last item I would leave until you have measured what I will suggest below.

It is hardly surprising that you think those absorbers are killing a lot of your high mid frequencies as they are too thin to be effective as broadband absorbers. Their usefulness will tail off down to useless at around 2kHz and lower. It looks from the photo that you have quite a few of them. Stack them at least 3 deep, 5 or deep would be better and measure the room's acoustics before and after as I think you will see a flatter frequency response but, at this point, worse decay (waterfall).

Post your mdat file and hopefully someone here will cast a critical eye over it to help you know what needs doing next.
The monitors tweeter is at ear level, so that's should be fine.
Do you suggest moving them closer to the wall (the wall have windows)?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I do. Here is Soundman2020's explanation about speaker placement for someone who, like you, has a window in his front wall.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes, I do. Here is Soundman2020's explanation about speaker placement for someone who, like you, has a window in his front wall.
I think his problem was the window on the right side ... not in front of him
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You are not moving your speakers because of the window but because minimising SBIR is beneficial. Focus on that aspect of having your speakers as close as possible to the front wall.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The monitors tweeter is at ear level, so that's should be fine.
Actually, that's a common misconception. It's not the tweeter you want to have at ear level, but rather the acoustic axis of the speaker. For a typical two-way studio monitor, the acoustic axis is roughly at the mid point between the center of the woofer and the center of the tweeter. Also, it's generally better for other reasons to have the acoustic axis a little above ear height (eg, it can reduce the mid-range dip from the desk/console, reduce reflections from the desk/console, reduce comb filtering, etc.) That's why Starlight was saying that your speakers are too low. But no more than a couple of inches higher.

Quote:
Yes. That will reduce the SBIR problem, since it will drive the SBIR dip up into the lower mid range, where it is less objectionable, less intense, and more easily treatable.

- Stuart -

Last edited by Soundman2020; 3 weeks ago at 04:07 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Starligt, Soundman2020
Thanks - really appreciate your answers
:-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search