The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home theatre Advice needed
Old 19th October 2019
Here for the gear

Home theatre Advice needed

First off I'll admit that i am new to this. a few months of online research while I am deployed overseas has given me just enough information to be dangerous... But I am coming home soon and am going to see what I can make of things in my newly built basement!

So the floor plan is in the attachments, along with two pictures facing the TV and two facing rearward. Open curtains and closed curtains of each.

There will be a 7.2.4 dolby atmos set up. Home theater is going to be 99% of the usage.

Planned acoustic treatments are;
1) Corner bass traps for the front corners as shown in the renders. May go with a scatter plate option?

2) Floor standing absorber for the side wall reflections that can be moved away when its not in home theater mode.

3)Vicoustic VMT for the front wall and ceiling (as shown in render as marble). This is the wifes only demand. She loves the look of the accent wall, and it'll have LED trim. PLUS it blocks out a window.

4) The two pillars are the back (one casing a small load bearing post, the other not) are going to be stripped of drywall, stuffed with absorber and wrapped in fabric, and turned into two big old bass traps. Possibly going to make a DIY BAD panels as scatter plates around it as a box before the fabric wrap if I can figure out how to do it right... Ideally I'd go with a BAD panel that just replaces the drywall and I wont need to alter anything else.

5) Curtains, as seen in the pics, will be purchased for light control, and high end management. They block out the window and rear light, pretty married to the idea of them, though they can be lighter or heavier depending on room acoustics.

6)Floor is carpeted with decent memory foam underpinning

If you are still with me feel free to point our obvious flaws in my plan. The two pillars are my only DIY project so they need the most advice.

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen!
Attached Thumbnails
Home theatre Advice needed-annotation-2019-10-19-182743.jpg   Home theatre Advice needed-open-front.jpg   Home theatre Advice needed-open-rear.jpg   Home theatre Advice needed-closed-front.jpg   Home theatre Advice needed-closed-rear.jpg  

Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8canuck View Post
First off I'll admit that i am new to this. a few months of online research while I am deployed overseas has given me just enough information to be dangerous... But I am coming home soon and am going to see what I can make of things in my newly built basement!

So the floor plan is in the attachments, along with two pictures facing the TV and two facing rearward. Open curtains and closed curtains of each.

There will be a 7.2.4 dolby atmos set up. Home theater is going to be 99% of the usage.

Planned acoustic treatments are;
1) Corner bass traps for the front corners as shown in the renders. May go with a scatter plate option?

2) Floor standing absorber for the side wall reflections that can be moved away when its not in home theater mode.

3)Vicoustic VMT for the front wall and ceiling (as shown in render as marble). This is the wifes only demand. She loves the look of the accent wall, and it'll have LED trim. PLUS it blocks out a window.

4) The two pillars are the back (one casing a small load bearing post, the other not) are going to be stripped of drywall, stuffed with absorber and wrapped in fabric, and turned into two big old bass traps. Possibly going to make a DIY BAD panels as scatter plates around it as a box before the fabric wrap if I can figure out how to do it right... Ideally I'd go with a BAD panel that just replaces the drywall and I wont need to alter anything else.

5) Curtains, as seen in the pics, will be purchased for light control, and high end management. They block out the window and rear light, pretty married to the idea of them, though they can be lighter or heavier depending on room acoustics.

6)Floor is carpeted with decent memory foam underpinning

If you are still with me feel free to point our obvious flaws in my plan. The two pillars are my only DIY project so they need the most advice.

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen!
Cool looking space, congratulations! As its not a critical listening environment, you really have no target you are required to hit. So, if you like the way it sounds, you're done.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Cool looking space, congratulations! As its not a critical listening environment, you really have no target you are required to hit.
+1 on the congratulations! I do not understand Jason's remark about standards. AES, Dolby SSF EBU all have standards for multichannel sound.
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

Appreciated!

I am certainly not going to hit perfect reference levels etc... I have neither the ability nor desire to chase that down with this. As much as I love reading and trying to wrap my head around some of the builds Im seeing on here I have to set more attainable goals.

However I do want the bass to be sharp when its supposed to, speech clear, and the surround sound to actually come from the right direction. A reasonable goal I think. Something better acoustically than the inside of a tin can, you know?

Adding another option for DIY bass traps too... the 19 inch deep vertical duct work is basically hollow... Builder loves over framing things it seems. If i took out the front face drywall of each, I'd have a 19 in cavity to turn into a bass trap.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
+1 on the congratulations! I do not understand Jason's remark about standards. AES, Dolby SSF EBU all have standards for multichannel sound.
You are correct, there are standards in place for multichannel playback. I assumed the OP was only interested in using the space for home enioyment of film and not interested in creating a critical listening environment, but perhaps that was foolish of me.

OP here is a set of specifications for multichannel surrond playback.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...I5nY8_2GGWPPIz
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

Tthank you both.

its nice to know there are references and benchmarks in mind for a system even if I am only dipping my toe in the water here. I want a project that I can be proud of and that functions well, but as soon as this becomes more work than fun Its going to burn me out. I just spent 6 months deployed... not looking to waste my vacation completely :P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search