The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plasterboard Rattling Problem
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Plasterboard Rattling Problem

Hello all,

Its my first post and... I didn't try the search button.

And it has a reason: I have been treating my room and I have a particular situation...

Well, in my room I have a plasterboard ceiling to hide some pipes. The problem is that it is just a small rectangular section of about 50 x 50 cm that is parallel to one of the wall and it is inaccessible. It is not the whole ceiling (see attached pics).

I have tested and certain low frequencies make the plasterboard rattle.

As I said, the interior is inaccessible and I cant properly fill it - if it wasn't hollow, it wouldn't rattle, I think. My idea would be to use some kind of vinyl or very slim mat to ''seal'' it so the sound wouldn't the surface of the plasterboard structure. This material would also protect the plasterboard from the glue of the acoustic treatment.

I was not considering any rock wool / mineral wool on this surface because the room is fairly treated already: full height bass traps and general foam acoustic treatment panels on the rest of the ceiling + diffusers and rock wool acoustic panels are almost ready.

Before i spend any more money I would like to hear any suggestions or new ideas on my ''plasterboard problem''...

Thanks in advance!

Pic:
https://ibb.co/C58vPbn
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Option 1: The best thing to do would be to open up (ie. remove) that section and put a replacement piece of plasterboard in its place, this time making sure that what it is attached to is stable. While the section is open you can check that there is some fluffy insulation inside to trap sounds that get through the plasterboard but do not go through the wall.

Option 2: A bodge would be to overlay a new piece of plasterboard over the existing one, either fixing it to the existing piece in many places or with green glue. If you still have a rattle that will prove that the bodge did not work and you will then have to resort to opening up that section anyway to repair and fill loosely with insulation.

PS. Once you have posted about 6 posts you will be able to post your pics direct to the forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search