The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR

Hello!

I have finished building the Control Room for my project studio and I am now at the acoustic treatment phase, and I would appreciate any input regarding which method of acoustic treatment should I implement in this room. It is a small room and as usual the the problems are at the low end.

Room size:

Length: 503 cm / 16.5 ft
Width: 312 cm / 10.2 ft
Height: 224 cm / 7.3 ft

Corners: 86 x 45.5 cm / 2.8 x 1.5 ft

The reason for the corners is that the room has 2 vertical concrete pillars that are supporting the upper floor, so I had to cover those when building the isolation. The isolation is room in a room and it isolates perfectly. I have measured the room with the monitors facing the long edge and the short edge and the best placement is on the long edge (having both corners in the back I get a better freq response from both monitors).

I will attach the REW file with the measurements of the room empty exept the studio desk, screen and monitors. I am finding that there are 4 low frequencies and their respective octaves that are causing the biggest peaks:

71 + 142 + 284 Hz
56.4 + 112.5 + 284 Hz
48 + 143 + 191 + 241 Hz
40 + 80 Hz

I was thinking to build some tuned resonators that would takle those fundamental frequencies in the corners and back wall that would tame the rest of the octaves, however 48, 56.4 and 71 are very low and from what I know you need a lot of depth and space to build traps that go that deep. The thing is that since I layed the mixing position on the long edge, I have about 130 cm (4.2 ft) of space from the sweet spot. I will also accomodate two armchairs for clients so therefore I have quite a limted space.

Also there is a huge reverb at the moment with no treatment. What treatment method would you suggest would fit best in my sittuation?

Best Regards,
Marco
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR-cr-1.jpg   Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR-cr-2.jpg   Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR-cr-traps.jpg   Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR-rew.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
This test has a pretty high noise floor, and/or it seems like something isn't right. The spectrograms are all over the place...Is it noisy in there? I would think we should have no problem seeing >60dB signal to noise in a room in a room build and it's only 30-40.

Possibly you simply need to test with the speakers turned up more?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have used the following guide prior to the measurements. I also made sure that each speaker was at 80 dB on the SPL meter (C weighted/ slow response).

The room is dead quiet. I just measured the ambient level of the room. If I measure using the A weighted /slow response I get the LO value on the meter (less than 40 dB on the meter). If I measure using the C weighted/slow response I get around 67 dB.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Marinescu View Post
I have used the following guide prior to the measurements. I also made sure that each speaker was at 80 dB on the SPL meter (C weighted/ slow response).
Hi Marco,

Agree with Ryan, your measurement looks corrupt. I would say heavily distorted (as interpreted by the system when THD is higher than Fundamental!)

What causes I can only guess.

Stuarts guide is very good. Unfortunately it's very difficult (impossible?) to write an instruction manual that describes every possible thing that can go wrong
when setting up a measurement chain.
Like: Gain staging, headroom, clipping, wrong sample rate, digital glitch, feedback, protection circuits...

For a start try these:
1. make sure your inputs/outputs are connected correctly.
2. Identical Sample rate of Computer/Soundcard/REW?
3. Quit other software.
4. Make sure Direct monitoring is OFF.
3. Try one sweep (in stead of 2)

Good luck

Ake
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Treatment advice for small CR-dist-.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search