The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
miniDSP + Dirac Live
Old 16th October 2019
miniDSP + Dirac Live

I've used Sonarworks Reference 3 for a while now, but there were always a number of issues for me, mainly that enabling and disabling a plugin in my DAW is frustrating, and vocals didn't seem to sit right with correction enabled. After some research, it sounds like it's possibly due to the correction it's doing up higher in the frequency spectrum, but that's beside the point.

I've been reading about miniDSP and Dirac Live. I love the idea of having hardware between your interface and monitors. But I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who has used it would be able to answer...

1) Is there any significant latency?

2) There's a thread on here about the miniDSP version of Dirac Live having some sort of listening position correction, and how it's not good and not possible to disable. Can anyone elaborate on that?

3) Can you set it to only correct under a certain frequency?

4) Can you set a house curve (like you can in Sonarworks)? I found myself really preferring the B&K house curve on my setup.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

first, exhaust all mechanical means! then, use any speaker processor*/controller of choice which has the features you need (filters, x-overs, delays, maybe limiters, digital and analog i/o's) and stay clear of any automated process! do extensive measurements but go with what sounds best to your ears: it may not necessarily be what measures best...

*latency on those vary, also depending on filter type and how many filter you're using but without excessive filtering, you'll land in sub 10ms territory (and a lot less in bypass, depending on digital input/settings though)

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 17th October 2019 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: info added
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but according to minidsp the latency is this for the 88a

FYI, the team now finalized the firmware for the DDRC-88A. The results are as follow:
- With Dirac = 13ms
- Dirac Bypassed = 6mS (can’t go lower due to internal processing)

I do believe you can set up a house curve or at least a bass lift and treble drop
Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

4) Can you set a house curve (like you can in Sonarworks)? I found myself really preferring the B&K house curve on my setup.
3) Sure, you can define the region of frequencies where correction is applied by dragging the curtains at the extreme left and right, i.e. for correction of low frequencies only you can drag the curtain at the right leftwise down to 500 Hz for example

4) You can define your target curve any way you want, there are control points already but more can be added if desired

Flavio
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've used Sonarworks Reference 3 for a while now, but there were always a number of issues for me, mainly that enabling and disabling a plugin in my DAW is frustrating, and vocals didn't seem to sit right with correction enabled. After some research, it sounds like it's possibly due to the correction it's doing up higher in the frequency spectrum, but that's beside the point.

I've been reading about miniDSP and Dirac Live. I love the idea of having hardware between your interface and monitors. But I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who has used it would be able to answer...

2) There's a thread on here about the miniDSP version of Dirac Live having some sort of listening position correction, and how it's not good and not possible to disable. Can anyone elaborate on that?

I have the ddrc-88a

1. Like Ryan said, with dirac, its 13ms delay

2. The delay compensation cannot be turned off and can cause comb filtering. In order to minimize/avoid this you MUST carefully position your monitors/mic during calibration. Its all based upon your first measurement position. I used a laser tape measure to make sure the mic was exactly centered and equidistant from the monitors. It wasnt fun to do, but it is necessary.

3. Yup

4. Yup

+1 to deedee's advice, get as good as you possibly can with treatment and speaker positioning before you even consider adding dsp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search