The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MLV curtains
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

MLV curtains

I am based in the UK. I hear about MLV curtains from time to time, but each time I search I can never actually find them for purchase anywhere.

This is not for a studio build, I am constructing a window plug for that, but I would like some heavy curtains for other rooms in the house. Where can I get them in the UK?

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The middle letter of MLV is L and it stands for limp. Are you looking to use MLV as a limp mass or as a non-limp, expensive alternative to plasterboard or a board usch as MDF or OSB?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I was thinking it would be hung across the window (so Iimp I suppose), but I'm hoping for something pre-made as a fabric curtain with MLV inside rather than to use MLV on it's own. I'd probably use those magnet strips on the edges to create a seal. But I've never worked with the stuff so not sure how feasible that is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

MLV= Mass Loaded Vinyl
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
MLV= Mass Loaded Vinyl
You are quite right; what was I thinking of? MLV is mostly used limp so I must have just been tired or something, maybe it was this topic: Mass loaded vinyl - sound barrier

jomaco2, you could use MLV as a limp layer. It would do more than a curtain would but usually a window is a weak spot as far as isolation (aka soundproofness) is concerned and so the aim would be to make a window plug that matches the mass of the wall the window is in. That would mean that sound has no easier job getting through the window and the plug than it does getting through the wall. It comes down to how much isolation you are aiming for.

Use the forum search to find topics about window plugs if you are interested in seeing what others before you have done.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
MLV isn't going to have any normal curtain look or feel. Think more towards vinyl flooring and less towards fabric in terms of it's flexibility- It's not something you can really fold.

Also it isn't very strong, screws etc will tear out if there aren't a lot of them to distribute the load. I could see getting some eyelets riveted into it if you have the right tools for that, but you would want to make sure you weren't too close to the edge of the piece and there were plenty of them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks all, much appreciated.

So, for the studio I am indeed thinking of making a window plug as you suggest Starlight, it seems the option that will work best for that. Coupled with sound mazes for the air vents I think I'll be on my way (done for one vent so far and seems to have worked pretty well...)

For the rest of the house though, some thick curtains, e.g. in the bedroom/living room would be the only option. Unfortunately these are going to have to be aesthetically pleasing - so thanks for your comment Ryan, perhaps MLV is not the way to go.

I see thick curtains and "acoustic" curtains around, obviously some or all of these are more for sound dampening than sound isolation. The reason I ask about MLV curtains is it seems MLV would actually work if I use magnetic stripping around the edges.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a product that looks like a normal curtain but has a lot of mass and would provide a modicum of sound proofing? (i.e. an acoustic curtain for isolation that isn't a total waste of money). I realise it's going to be pretty poor, but at least better than the plastic blinds which we currently have. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to go for the heaviest curtains I can find.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search