The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas
Old 14th October 2019
Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas

Hi there.

I want to decorate my room, but I’d also like to improve the acoustic.
I have just found out something that is called “Noiseflex picture” ( see link bellow.

Any idea how I can make a similar?

https://www.musicstore.com/en_OE/EUR...REC0013344-000

Tks.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think I'd skip on that! There's the laws of physics that govern the real world, including sound waves... then there's the laws of marketing hype, that are totally unrelated to anything in the real world, except your wallet...

Not sure if you noticed the dimensions of that artwork: "Thickness: 25 mm". Thus, at best (assuming it is a perfect acoustic absorber), it can only effect high frequencies... for anything below about 1 kHz, it has no effect at all. Because absorption thickness is related to wavelength (in the real world...). Also, the dimensions of that painting are 100 cm x 100 cm So 1 square meter.... add up all the surface area of all the walls, floor, and ceiling in your room, consider that you normally need to treat at least 30% of that area to have any useful effect, then see how many paintings you'd need to buy...

Nope! I would not consider that thing a all. No useful effect, and rather expensive!

It would be much better to just build DIY treatment yourself, then get whatever artwork you like printed on breathable fabric (there are reputable companies that can do that for you), and put that over your treatment.

But first, before you do any of that, you should determine what acoustic treatment your room actually needs!

- Stuart -

Last edited by Soundman2020; 14th October 2019 at 11:42 PM..
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Carlo, what acoustic treatment do you already have in your room?
Old 14th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Carlo, what acoustic treatment do you already have in your room?
Thank you for your reply. Well nothing at the moment.
Old 14th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Yeah, I think I'd skip on that! There's the laws of physics that govern the real world, including sound waves... then there's the laws of marketing hype, that are totally unrelated to anything in the real world, except your wallet...

Not sure if you noticed the dimensions of that artwork: "Thickness: 25 mm". Thus, at best (assuming it is a perfect acoustic absorber), it can only effect high frequencies... for anything below about 1 kHz, it has no effect at all. Because absorption thickness is related to wavelength (in the real world...). Also, the dimensions of that painting are 100 cm x 100 cm So 1 square meter.... add up all the surface area of all the walls, floor, and ceiling in your room, consider that you normally need to treat at least 30% of that area to have any useful effect, then see how many paintings you'd need to buy...

Nope! I would not consider that thing a all. No useful effect, and rather expensive!

It would be much better to just build DIY treatment yourself, then get whatever artwork you like printed on breathable fabric (there are reputable companies that can do that for you), and put that over your treatment.

But first, before you do any of that, you should determine what acoustic treatment our room actually needs!

- Stuart -
Hi Stuart, thanks for your message.

I was actually thinking of doing something myself. I agree with with you, that artwork is really expensive for what it is.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloEspresso View Post
Thank you for your reply. Well nothing at the moment.
I got fabric custom printed for my back wall. The "art" is 3 feet x 12 feet in the visible area
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas-20190421_120345.jpg  
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
I got fabric custom printed for my back wall. The "art" is 3 feet x 12 feet in the visible area
Nice! That's what I was talking about... and I'll bet that what you have behind it is a bit more than 25mm thick! And that it didn't cost all that much to do...

- Stuart -
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Nice! That's what I was talking about... and I'll bet that what you have behind it is a bit more than 25mm thick! And that it didn't cost all that much to do...

- Stuart -
12 feet x 8 feet x 3 feet of fluffy fiber, chicken wire, 2x4s, and some fabric.... maybe $500 in materials by the time i added the slatts. The 4 yards of custom printed fabric was just under $80 i believe. Simple, cheap, and effective absorbtion across the entire spectrum.
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
12 feet x 8 feet x 3 feet of fluffy fiber, chicken wire, 2x4s, and some fabric.... maybe $500 in materials by the time i added the slatts. The 4 yards of custom printed fabric was just under $80 i believe. Simple, cheap, and effective absorbtion across the entire spectrum.
Hey Jason. Where did you get the fabric printed from? I'm looking to do something very similar and am in the process of contacting a few different companies but I really like your result along with that price point. Looks great.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducedByRiot View Post
Hey Jason. Where did you get the fabric printed from? I'm looking to do something very similar and am in the process of contacting a few different companies but I really like your result along with that price point. Looks great.
Spoonflower.com

I dont remember which fabric i used. It was one of the light weight cottons, but not a sheer fabric. I put a layer of https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-3...42RV/302720132 behind the printed fabric to make it appear more opaque.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas-20180919_135335.jpg   Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas-img_1300.jpg   Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas-20180917_175831.jpg   Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas-20180917_233902.jpg   Advice needed: How to make noise absorbing painting/canvas-20180918_171918.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search