The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Layering Materials on Sound Absorption Panel
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Layering Materials on Sound Absorption Panel

I am mounting 2 2ftx4ftx2.5inch sound absortion panels to be in my first reflection point in my bedroom/studio on the wall between speakers and listener position.
Since it will be place in my bedroom and I spend a lot time in this closed environment I opted for Cotton insulation health-wise. I bought the ATS Cotton batt (2.5lb/cuFt) which is advertised as 2 inch thick but it actually is 1.5 inches. So since the wood frame I am using is 2.5 inch thick I was thinking if I could fill this 1 inch gap with cheaper material like foam (1lb/cuFt)... here are my questions:

#1 - Would that improve my sound panel?

#2 - In the picture below which would be the better option concerning layering the 2 materials? I believe it should be #1 isnt it? Should the less dense material be in the front?

#3 - Would the sound panel have better performance if instead of using a low density foam (1 lb/cuFt) , I use a high density foam of 2.8 lb/cuFt? If yes, in this case since the foam is more dense than the Cotton insulation (which is 2.5 lb/cuFT) should I place it behind the cotton?

#4 - Is there any other healthy/safe option of material to use instead of foam?

Thank you so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Layering Materials on Sound Absorption Panel-layer-material.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search