The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A slightly different air gap question
Old 4 weeks ago
A slightly different air gap question

Hi all. I'm working on potential designs for my inner leaf. Due to previous construction and a number of other factors, my outer leaf will consist of an existing ceiling (double drywall). I'm trying to determine what size air gap I need, using the MAM formula. It uses different constants depending on whether the gap has insulation or not. Of course it's better to have insulation.

The issue is that I'm going to have a difficult time attaching insulation to the existing ceiling. So I'm wondering if it will make a difference if I just use a thick layer on the inner leaf, it will still fill most of the gap, leaving a bit of air but also bare drywall.

Hopefully this helps explain it. I'm looking at doing an inside out ceiling so I can take advantage of the full ceiling cloud effect. Which is probably necessary because the final ceiling height will only be about 8'. At least that's what I'm trying to stick with as a design constraint.

So again, will it make a major difference if all the insulation is on one side as opposed to being split between two surfaces?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is there insultion on the loft/attic side?
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes, it's in the drawing. Insulation and joists (trusses) are on the loft/attic side. Then drywall, which is the outer leaf ceiling.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok, just confirming. Then both leaves are damped. No different than an inside out wall. Calculate MSM frequency based on insulated cavity.
Old 4 weeks ago
Great, thanks. I also plan to use Green Glue which will help with the damping.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search