The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Modest Studio Build - Where to place desk? (Rock Wall)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Modest Studio Build - Where to place desk? (Rock Wall)

Hi all - long-time lurker, first time poster.

After years and years, I've finally decided to turn our spare family room into a modest home studio. Primarily mixing, but some home recording as well.

The house was built in the 70s, and has a fireplace with a LARGE river-rock wall. It literally takes up the entire side of one of the rooms.

Room dimensions are 12'(L) x 13' (W) x 8' (H). Basically a box, except it *is* open on one side, but that's another question for another day.

The rock wall is on one of the 12' walls. Adjacent to it is a 13' wall with two windows.

I was originally going to place the desk in front of the wall with the windows, get some thick curtain material (which I need anyway) for said windows, build some bass traps for the corners behind the monitors, and then build some absorption panels and attach along the rock wall (including covering the unused fireplace) and the parallel wall on the other side.

I have been reading about diffusion however, and with the river rock wall being far from flat, and it being, well, rock, I then was thinking this may be the better option: have the desk in-front of the wall parallel to the rock wall. One down side to this is that I would then have the wall with the two windows being on one of my sides, where a reflection point is going to occur.

I'm sure pictures will help, but it's a sad mess right now. I do plan on doing room measurements, but there's so much good info here, even if there's a recommended starting option that would help immensely.

Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarlough View Post
Hi all - long-time lurker, first time poster.

After years and years, I've finally decided to turn our spare family room into a modest home studio. Primarily mixing, but some home recording as well.

The house was built in the 70s, and has a fireplace with a LARGE river-rock wall. It literally takes up the entire side of one of the rooms.

Room dimensions are 12'(L) x 13' (W) x 8' (H). Basically a box, except it *is* open on one side, but that's another question for another day.

The rock wall is on one of the 12' walls. Adjacent to it is a 13' wall with two windows.

I was originally going to place the desk in front of the wall with the windows, get some thick curtain material (which I need anyway) for said windows, build some bass traps for the corners behind the monitors, and then build some absorption panels and attach along the rock wall (including covering the unused fireplace) and the parallel wall on the other side.

I have been reading about diffusion however, and with the river rock wall being far from flat, and it being, well, rock, I then was thinking this may be the better option: have the desk in-front of the wall parallel to the rock wall. One down side to this is that I would then have the wall with the two windows being on one of my sides, where a reflection point is going to occur.

I'm sure pictures will help, but it's a sad mess right now. I do plan on doing room measurements, but there's so much good info here, even if there's a recommended starting option that would help immensely.

Thank you!
Can you provide a picture or deawing with locations of all room features please?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sure Jason! (My name too!).

I'll take some photos this weekend. I took some last night but I'd like to make it a little more presentable before posting on the interwebs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search