The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Two ceiling options - which is better?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Two ceiling options - which is better?

Hi there,

I have a lot of trouble with upstairs neighbours – heavy footsteps, kids running, furniture moving, doors banging, etc. At the moment, our ceiling is 15mm drywall attached to wood joists, 50mm air cavity (with no insulation) and concrete slabs separating the two properties. They have a wooden/ laminate floor so impact sound passes easily through the rigid concrete below.

I’ll tear the existing ceiling down, put 50mm RW3 in the void and Sound clips to decouple from the joists (I’m using Oscar Iso Clip, minimizing space loss is important). I then have two options for the new ceiling (see below). One is more expensive and I’m wondering whether it’s worth it??

Option 1:
Two layers Soundbloc (15mm and 12.5mm) – totalling 22.6kg/m2
Green Glue between the layers (2xtubes per sheet), for good measure

Option 2:
15mm Phonestar Drywall (19kg/m2)
12.5mm Soundbloc (10.6kg/m2)
No green glue
Total of 29.6kg/m2
(phonestar is a sand-filled acoustic board – high mass, but also soft/ loose so they claim better soundproofing properties)

In both scenarios, perimeters/ joinings are sealed with isolation strips/ backer rod and AC95 sealant.

I've attached a drawing of my proposed setup.

My question is – which seems to be the better choice? Option 2 is more expensive and I can’t speak for all the purported benefits of phonestar boards, but they are higher mass - which might be more helpful than the Green Glue?

Any thoughts or advice welcome - Thanks guys!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic.pdf (327.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Basically, whatever gives you the highest mass AND the largest gap between the existing floor above you and the new drywall, is the option you should go for.

However, having said that, what you propose might not have very much effect at all on reducing the noise levels in your room. All of the noises you are talking about are structure-borne, so they are in the building structure itself. That implies that they are not just in the ceiling above you, but also in the walls around you. Thus, isolating only the ceiling might not have a large impact on total isolation, unless you also isolate the walls... which probably includes things like doors, windows, closets, etc.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I fear that, even though your plan for the ceiling is good, by itself it might not produce a major change in noise levels.

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search