The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DIY acoustic panels and placement
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Help needed for DIY acoustic panels sizing and placement

Hi everyone, I am embarking on a project to build a lightly acoustically treated bedroom studio, and would like to have some feedback on my plans and designs.

Room dimensions (L x W x H)

2.9m x 4.0m x 2.7m (9.5' x 13' x 9')

Refer to attached picture.

For simplicity's sake I've only included the following:
Red - Mixing position
Blue - Bed
Yellow highlight - Windows

Using Adam F7s, planning to upgrade to HEDD Type 07s in the future. This room will only used for mixing and listening. No mic-ed up recording will be done here.

Panels
Roxul Rockboard 60, mineral wool, 12pcs of 4' by 2' by 1"
Wooden planks of 10mm thickness
Wood glue + nails for fitting of planks
Magic Nanotape for adhesion to walls (this stuff can hold serious weight)

Planned acoustic panel placement
4pcs of 1' by 2' by 2" with 0.5" air gap on EACH side of the side walls (8pcs total)
2pcs of 1' by 2' by 2" with 0.5" air gap on front wall (behind mixing position)
2pcs of 1' by 3' by 3" with 0.5" air gap on rear wall (Bed)
6pcs of bass traps 1' by 1' by 1', cut diagonally in half to form a triangular cross-section, mounted on the upper corners of the room

1. Is my wooden panel construction sound? (Glue and nails) Would like to avoid any permanent 'damage' to the walls as well

2. I would like to know if it is better to be covering the room with less sq area with thicker panels, or more sq area with thinner panels. I can effectively double the area if I were to cut down from 2" to 1" thickness

3. Yes, I will be referring how to find first reflection points on the side walls

Feedback would very much be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY acoustic panels and placement-dimensions.jpg  

Last edited by prorenzo; 4 weeks ago at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Bump
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stop. Before you go any further, read the stickies and acoustic treatment reference guide at the top of the forum. With your current plan you will not improve your situation. The typical recommendation would be a minimum of 16 2 foot x 4 foot panels 4 inches thick spaced 4inches off the walls, but even thats not great imo. It takes lots of light weight, low gas flow resistivity fiber to properly treat a room. The good news is this fiber is also the cheapest. The treatment you are proposing will do absolutely nothing below 500hz. You'll end up with a dead room with the low end going bonkers with wildly uneven decay times. Read a bit and come back with questions. Good luck.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Stop. Before you go any further, read the stickies and acoustic treatment reference guide at the top of the forum. With your current plan you will not improve your situation. The typical recommendation would be a minimum of 16 2 foot x 4 foot panels 4 inches thick spaced 4inches off the walls, but even thats not great imo. It takes lots of light weight, low gas flow resistivity fiber to properly treat a room. The good news is this fiber is also the cheapest. The treatment you are proposing will do absolutely nothing below 500hz. You'll end up with a dead room with the low end going bonkers with wildly uneven decay times. Read a bit and come back with questions. Good luck.
I would like to add that I am only doing music as a hobby and not doing any professional mixing of any sort. I understand your concern that my plan is not adequate enough to cover the low end of things, which may lead to an uneven absorption of frequencies. However, this room in question is also my bedroom and not very big, so i do not have the luxury of 4 + 4 inches of wool and gap eating up my space. My e drums, wardrobe, bed, shelves, desk, and amps are all cramped in here. I am also just a college student with a limited budget.

My goal is just a less reflective room so that things generally sound tighter and pleasant to listen to. There it is a reason why I chose 1' wide panels as I will be installing them on my wardrobe doors. 2' is wider than my wardrobe door itself. I will probably lean to using foam bass traps from auralex and use the mineral wool saved to enlarge the panels that aren't on my wardrobe doors (to 2' by 3')

My other option is to go ahead full on with acoustic foam, would that be more appropriate instead?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I understand that your goal is not to be the best studio in the world. I assure you it takes much more than a few panels on the walls to join that club. That being said, dont just waste your money because you can. Foam is actually about the least cost effective studio treatment there is. Nobody is advocating that you should shoot for pro results in your situation. I only suggest that you put your money into treatment that will actually improve your situation. It will require sacraficing a bit of real estate in your room. If thats not a commitment youre prepared to make currently, thats fine, but doing this wrong will only give you a different version of bad. Its not an improvement, just different. So, if you want to do this right, theres many people that can help you. If youre not ready for that. Perhaps invest in a good set of reference headphones instead and enjoy your hobby.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search