The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can Sonarworks reference 4 measure a non optimal listening position?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
Can Sonarworks reference 4 measure a non optimal listening position?

Hi all slutz :-)!

I just bought the Sonarworks XREF 20 Measurement Mic. I have some questions about how the measurements works. I have a rectangular room and 2 meters between my monitors. However, the distance from each monitor to my listening position is 3,2 meters (not optimal)

1. Can Sonarworks reference 4 take this type of listening position into account?
2.Is the software only constructed for the optimal listening position (Uniform triangle), or can it handle all types of listening positions?
3. Can you use the software without having the optimal listening position?

For you guys how have the same problem, i would really like to know how you solved this?

Last edited by Mr Zorro; 4 weeks ago at 12:17 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jason Foi's Avatar
 

Firstly, the only way to get good results is to properly treat your room acoustically. No software can completely correct an untreated room. You will only end up with a sweetspot the size of a tic-tac. Secondly, while the strict equilateral triangle thing is more of a guide than an absolute fact, it is best practice to stay as close as possible to it. I would start by using REW to measure your room and find the optimal listening position. Then treat your room as best you can, then use sonarworks for the icing on your cake.

You may not like it, but acoustics is a science with strict rules. If you do not follow them, you are not improving your situation. Only changing from one version of bad to another. Good thing is there are many knowledgabe people on this forum who are happy to help you learn.

Good luck.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zorro View Post
[...]1. Can Sonarworks reference 4 take this type of listening position into account?
1.Is the software only constructed for the optimal listening position (Uniform triangle), or can it handle all types of listening positions?
2. Can you use the software without having the optimal listening position?

For you guys how have the same problem, i would really like to know how you solved this?
I did not solve the problem Jason points out, because I don't have dedicated rooms. Sonarworks Reference optimizes its corrections within its technical capabilities for the listening position you measure at. The better your room is treated and the better you monitoring setup, the more effective its corrections can be. If both are bad, it may not be able to help you much... but my gut feeling is that it won't make things worse either.

IMHO the answers to your questions are "yes", "no" and "yes".
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Firstly, the only way to get good results is to properly treat your room acoustically. No software can completely correct an untreated room. You will only end up with a sweetspot the size of a tic-tac. Secondly, while the strict equilateral triangle thing is more of a guide than an absolute fact, it is best practice to stay as close as possible to it. I would start by using REW to measure your room and find the optimal listening position. Then treat your room as best you can, then use sonarworks for the icing on your cake.

You may not like it, but acoustics is a science with strict rules. If you do not follow them, you are not improving your situation. Only changing from one version of bad to another. Good thing is there are many knowledgabe people on this forum who are happy to help you learn.

Good luck.
I hear you. I know the basics. Thanks. What i really want to know is if Sonarworks reference 4 can take different types of listening position into account when measure? Somebody with experience?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Jason Foi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zorro View Post
I hear you. I know the basics. Thanks. What i really want to know is if Sonarworks reference 4 can take different types of listening position into account when measure? Somebody with experience?
Ok, well then to answer your questions the software doesnt care where your speakers are. It will adjust the time domain for each speaker seperately to get the playback at your listening position as accurate as it can.

If the results are unacceptable, see my first reply.

Good luck
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Ok, well then to answer your questions the software doesnt care where your speakers are. It will adjust the time domain for each speaker seperately to get the playback at your listening position as accurate as it can.

If the results are unacceptable, see my first reply.

Good luck
Thanks. Now i did my measurements. It sounds much better and flat. My next step will be to put up absorbents on walls. I bought 10 of them. Looking forward to try to make the room even better .
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Jason Foi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zorro View Post
Thanks. Now i did my measurements. It sounds much better and flat. My next step will be to put up absorbents on walls. I bought 10 of them. Looking forward to try to make the room even better .
What kind of panels did you buy?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
What kind of panels did you buy?
Those:
http://www.bullerbekamparen.se/akust...0---vaegg.aspx

I bought them in Sweden
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Jason Foi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zorro View Post
Ok, just know that they are too thin to make any appreciable difference below about 500hz given the mounting shown on their website. If you doubled them up to 100mm and placed them 100mm off the wall you could get absorbtion down to around 125-200hz most likely. In order to absorb lower you need thick fluffy fiber with a low GFR or pressure traps.
Attached Thumbnails
Can Sonarworks reference 4 measure a non optimal listening position?-screenshot_20190915-140250_firefox.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Ok, just know that they are too thin to make any appreciable difference below about 500hz given the mounting shown on their website. If you doubled them up to 100mm and placed them 100mm off the wall you could get absorbtion down to around 125-200hz most likely. In order to absorb lower you need thick fluffy fiber with a low GFR or pressure traps.

I know. My plan is to buy bass traps. That the next step
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zorro View Post
I know. My plan is to buy bass traps. That the next step
I think the point he's making is that you want those first reflection point absorbers to be broadband as well, or you're going to get a more uneven room response. I just spent the weekend making a bunch of panels with 3.5" Ultra Touch that have an absorption coefficient right around 1.0 all the way down to 100 - your panels are missing a lot of potential in the 100-500 range. Adding bass traps won't change the fact that those panels aren't absorbing what they could, and for far less money if you made your own as well.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump