The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Are these foams great?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Are these foams great?

https://www.amazon.ae/Soundproofing-.../dp/B07WXFRF9D

I want to buy these foams to reduce reflections in my room. There used to be a bed behind me but not anymore so I feel like the reflections and sound quality has changed drastically so I was thinking if setting these foams would reduce reflections.

Thanks. please let me know. I am really in deep here. Kind of scared. I got used to my current position for over 1 and a half year and after this change I cant judge my mixes at all. Feels like everything I have learnt is off to vain now.

If this wont solve my problem what would be a better start do you think? please dont forget to suggest.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't waste you money. 15 mm is nothing.

I suggest you acquire some knowledges in acoustic before start an acoustic traitement.

I suggest you use the search module of this forum to acquire some knowledges in acoustic before start an acoustic treatment.

I suggest you use Google or similar to acquire some knowledges in acoustic before start an acoustic treatment.

Examples
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/reflection-free-zone/
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Don't waste you money. 15 mm is nothing.

I suggest you acquire some knowledges in acoustic before start an acoustic traitement.

I suggest you use the search module of this forum to acquire some knowledges in acoustic before start an acoustic treatment.

I suggest you use Google or similar to acquire some knowledges in acoustic before start an acoustic treatment.

Examples
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/reflection-free-zone/

so what if I buy 3 of em and place one over another? would 45mm be sufficient? Where I am from this seems like the only legit and cheap way I can get it done.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover_gol View Post
so what if I buy 3 of em and place one over another? would 45mm be sufficient? Where I am from this seems like the only legit and cheap way I can get it done.
45mm is still nothing at all. I normally use 45 cm or more for bass trapping. 45 cm is about the minimum that you need for good bass trapping, and for some rooms, I make it 90 cm in places... occasionally more.

Forget foam. Build your own treatment using ordinary light-weight insulation that you can buy at any hardware store. Make it thick enough to treat the lowest frequencies in your room that are a problem.

Look around the forum and the internet at photos of pro studios: how many of them have thin bits of foam stuck on the walls? The answer is: "zero". So if the pros don't use thin foam to treat their studios, that tells you that you shouldn't be using it either.

- Stuart -
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The cheapest way to mimic the former acoustic situation is probably to buy a similar bed as the one you had before. Try the second hand market.
No need to "re-learn" the room.

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Are these foams great?
There is no such thing as "great foam":

While foams can be useful, they are a lousy "bang for the buck".

...Worse yet, foam really sucks at the most important acoustical tasks you need to accomplish in a small room.

The weird thing about acoustics is that almost everything about it is counter-intuitive!

Here's a good place to start to learn more:
Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
-by Ethan Winer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wait, aren't these type of threads started by Gearslutz itself? I find this is such an easy answer that any audio dude from pro to beginner should have heard of this by now. It's such a cliche that foam is bad. How is this question still being asked so regularly?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Wait, aren't these type of threads started by Gearslutz itself? I find this is such an easy answer that any audio dude from pro to beginner should have heard of this by now. It's such a cliche that foam is bad. How is this question still being asked so regularly?
Please bear in mind that this thread was started by the 9th post 'musiclover_gol' ever made to GS.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

musiclover_gol, have a read again of what Soundman2020 wrote in your recent topic Soundproofing or Sound absorption behind the monitors?. You missed or ignored his and others' advice regarding foam traps as you went on to provide links to foam bass traps. What was written applies to the whole room.

Quote:
Where I am from ...
You omitted to include where you are in your profile.

Last edited by Starlight; 4 weeks ago at 03:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
No foam is great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search