The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitor Placement in New Room
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear
Monitor Placement in New Room

Hi guys, I'm definitely not new to the forums and I'm sure some of you may have seen my posts here a few times, but I'm no expert so I'm seeking your help.

I'm in the process of retrofitting a once bedroom into my new studio space, and although I have a fair idea of where I should put my monitors, I'm not entirely sure. Mostly because I know where I want to put my monitors, but I don't think it'll be the best place as far acoustics are concerned. A few months ago I had another space available to me, that was much larger and was 100% symmetrical, but due to familial reasons it's no longer an option. I've attached a sketch of the space, with dimensions.

The space is built with concrete walls, and the dimensions are: Length - 18.5ft, Width (A) - 9.9ft, Width (B) - 11.3 ft. Height (ceiling to floor) - 9.7 ft.

My first thought was to set up my listening area against Wall A, with my monitors firing towards Wall B. The reason for this was because I have a 50" TV that I planned to wall-mount on Wall A. This would free up Wall B, allowing me to get some natural light into the room from the window. Placing the TV there would block the window. This is what I want to do. But, I'm thinking that for acoustics, my monitors would be better placed against Wall B, though I'm not sure because I'd be operating in a cavity, for the most part.

The room is oddly shaped, and not really symmetrical. The entrance to the empty walk-in closet would be blocked with a rolling gobo, made to fit snuggly into the space (acting as wall, of sorts), made from rockwool at a depth of 5 inches. From my reading here, that seems like a good idea, but is it?

Another option is to place my set-up along the straight length of the room, but I know acoustically that would probably be a very bad idea...

And lastly, if it would yield better acoustic results to place my monitors against Wall B, I'm prepared to place the TV on the opposite wall (Wall A), and just use my computer monitor at my desk, and when I want to game or watch a movie, face Wall A to watch the TV. Ideally though, the TV was supposed to be my secondary monitor for mixing, song arrangement and of course, entertainment.

I'll be outfitting the room with as much DIY acoustic treatment as possible for first reflections and bass traps. And I'll be following Soundman's guide on room measurement using REW with a recently purchased miniDSP UMIK-1. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor Placement in New Room-img_20190912_162753.jpg  
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

I would face B
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
I agree with Jason. You put the length of the room and the non-symmetrical parts of the room behind the listening position. My agreement really doesn’t add much weight. Jason’s opinion is based on far more knowledge and experience in studio acoustics than mine.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

I'm adding my +1 agreement to both of the above posts: Very correct. Wall "B" gets my vote too.

- Stuart -
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Like on many vinyl, B side is the best, here as well
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback; it's greatly appreciated. It's just as I feared lol, Wall B seems like the better positioning. I'll start my measurements there, and then measure Wall A and note the differences.

I've been pretty busy, and away from home these past few days and just got back. Taking a look at the space, I'm seeing a small problem on Wall B, that throws off its symmetry, though it may not be too bad. The pillars on Wall B don't have equal dimensions, at all. One is about 3x the size of the other lol. This is what happens when you have to use a room that isn't built from the ground up for music production. Man, I wish you guys could see the first room I was going to use...it's absolutely perfect; 30ft long, by 17ft wide and 10ft high...symmetrical rectangle with 3 large windows, one being on the back wall, (so all of that low-end information would escape the room). I was so pumped for that space, but alas.

Anyways, as soon as the desk and monitor stands are built, and I have my monitors and PC in the room, I'll do some measurements and report back. Thanks again everyone.

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Personally I'd measure the room first without any desk. And build the desk later.

Pay attention to your desk...so it won't affect the acoustic (as less as possible ideally).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Personally I'd measure the room first without any desk. And build the desk later.

Pay attention to your desk...so it won't affect the acoustic (as less as possible ideally).
Absolutely! Furniture can affect the acoustics, especially the desk, so to get the true picture of what the room is doing, measure without the desk first.

Then design the desk to be as low profile as possible, with as few large flat surfaces as possible, so that it will have as little effect as possible on the room acoustics.

- Stuart -
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Where are the mismatched pillars? Are they in the two corners, essentially behind the speakers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Where are the mismatched pillars? Are they in the two corners, essentially behind the speakers?
Hey Bushman, sorry for the extremely delayed response. I didn't even noticed this response to my post.

Those pillars are in the corners of Wall B (The suggested placement wall), and differ in size. The one in the right corner is about less than a 1/4 the size of the one opposite it. I don't think they'll be a big problem, but we'll see with some tests. The days are drawing closer when I'll begin taking some measurements. I've held off on building the desk, and will build the stands first and place the monitors there, as they'll be my mains (for now), until I get new monitors which will replace my current mains, and I'll put the one's I'm using now as secondary references on the desk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search