The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
4 inch thick Auralex foam as a corner trap?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

4 inch thick Auralex foam as a corner trap?

Hello! I have an all wood laminate-walled, floored, and ceiling’d room (dims: 26’ x 14.5’ x 8’) that I want to turn into a live room and tracking room. I want it to sound balanced even with loud drums and cranked amps. I want the room to sound balanced enough such that the audience can discern each instrument, both acoustically and through the PA. Diagram of room attached.

I happened upon quite a bit of auralex foam. Sizes and quantities below:

Thirty-eight 2'x2'x2” pyramids

Twenty-three 2'x2'x2" wedges
Twelve 2'x4'x2" wedges
Fifteen 2'x4'x4" wedges

Four 2’x2’x2’ megalenrd bass traps
Eight 2'x1'x1' Lenrd bass traps
Four 1'x1'x1' cube
Ten 3"x3"x2' cornerfills (bass traps)

Here’s what I was thinking: Lenrds stacked to the ceiling in the 4 corners. Cube in the trigedral upper corners. All other foam tiled about, interrupting first reflections for each amp, each PA, and drum kit. (Related question: can those pyramids be used as a drum cloud to help make the OHs sound more open? The drum kit will sit on an Auralex hoverdeck with no rug underneath)

THEN—here’s the kicker—use the 4”x 2’x4’ as bass traps for all of the upper dihedral corners (where walls meet the ceiling). I saw a diagram on a website that suggested that you just bend the foam, essentially “rounding the corner”, and leaving an air gap on the inside. It would look like filleted corners. Can I pull this off with 4”-thick Auralex wedges? I have exactly enough of em to cover every upper dihedral corner. Unlike the attached diagram, in which the grooves of the wedge are parallel to the corner, the wedge grooves of my foam panels would be orthogonal to the corner line.

Oh yeah, I’m mainly strategizing about bass trapping with the thick foam to bring that small room under control, but please throw out recommendations for how to use the square pieces too! Obviously, I’m totally lacking in the diffusion department. What are inexpensive solutions for diffusion?

Also, I’ve only been in the room once, so I don’t know how it sounds yet. Thin wood laminate on all surfaces, basement level. My move-in date is two weeks from now. Trying to get a game plan together for all this foam!

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
4 inch thick Auralex foam as a corner trap?-bcf2664c-df72-4b3c-8b77-90812bbf4a89.jpeg   4 inch thick Auralex foam as a corner trap?-673aa0ea-709d-429c-8c60-041463c71ca0.png   4 inch thick Auralex foam as a corner trap?-d8c8febf-23b9-4646-bb30-7d516ebcb719.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When i first treated my room i bought $2k worth of foam from auralex. I put it all up in my control room and LOVED it! Then mixes still didnt translate and i measured my room. All it did was suck the life out of the room and leave the bass completely untamed. I now use the foam as packing material. I'm not saying its worthless or even that it cant work, but the thicknesses usually used are not realistic. Since its free, use it, but dont rely solely on what you have. Stack it up thick and use it, but save youself some trouble and go buy some unfaced r30 insulation from home depot and build real bass traps too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
When i first treated my room i bought $2k worth of foam from auralex. I put it all up in my control room and LOVED it! Then mixes still didnt translate and i measured my room. All it did was suck the life out of the room and leave the bass completely untamed. I now use the foam as packing material. I'm not saying its worthless or even that it cant work, but the thicknesses usually used are not realistic. Since its free, use it, but dont rely solely on what you have. Stack it up thick and use it, but save youself some trouble and go buy some unfaced r30 insulation from home depot and build real bass traps too.
I think I’ll start with the best config with the foam that I have and then start building out my collection and reconfiguring the room accordingly. Also, I will not be using this as a mixing room or serious analytical listening room. But I get what you’re saying—if it didn’t treat the control room it wouldn’t treat any room well. A primary goal is bringing down overall perceived volume for live performance.

It’s a small room, probably won’t be here over a year—I just wanna put this foam to work to make it a performance room. What’s the best bass trapping method for what I’ve got?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wouldnt eat up corners too much with the foam. It takes fluffy fiber with low gfr several feet thick or lots of pressure traps to tame bass. The foam with exception to the mega lenrds are not really bass traps. Low mid absorbers at best. I know its a live room, but bass trapping is super important for clean recordings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I wouldnt eat up corners too much with the foam. It takes fluffy fiber with low gfr several feet thick or lots of pressure traps to tame bass. The foam with exception to the mega lenrds are not really bass traps. Low mid absorbers at best. I know its a live room, but bass trapping is super important for clean recordings.
Which corners of the room would be most important to trap with the fiber method? I think I’ll install the foam on all the other areas (I probably don’t have the budget to line all ceiling corners with fiber) and then leave the most critical corners empty until I get those built. How many corners would be essential to treat in this way for a good drum recording (based on my drum diagram) and a good audience perception of a live band?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

All of them, really. Even whole walls. And large ceiling clouds
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
All of them, really. Even whole walls. And large ceiling clouds
I’m going to start off with the foam I have and see what I can achieve. How would you recommend arranging the different pieces?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As thick as possible over as much surface area as you can
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1 View Post
Hello! I have an all wood laminate-walled, floored, and ceiling’d room (dims: 26’ x 14.5’ x 8’) that I want to turn into a live room and tracking room. I want it to sound balanced even with loud drums and cranked amps. I want the room to sound balanced enough such that the audience can discern each instrument, both acoustically and through the PA. Diagram of room attached.

I happened upon quite a bit of auralex foam. Sizes and quantities below:

Thirty-eight 2'x2'x2” pyramids

Twenty-three 2'x2'x2" wedges
Twelve 2'x4'x2" wedges
Fifteen 2'x4'x4" wedges

Four 2’x2’x2’ megalenrd bass traps
Eight 2'x1'x1' Lenrd bass traps
Four 1'x1'x1' cube
Ten 3"x3"x2' cornerfills (bass traps)

Here’s what I was thinking: Lenrds stacked to the ceiling in the 4 corners. Cube in the trigedral upper corners. All other foam tiled about, interrupting first reflections for each amp, each PA, and drum kit. (Related question: can those pyramids be used as a drum cloud to help make the OHs sound more open? The drum kit will sit on an Auralex hoverdeck with no rug underneath)

THEN—here’s the kicker—use the 4”x 2’x4’ as bass traps for all of the upper dihedral corners (where walls meet the ceiling). I saw a diagram on a website that suggested that you just bend the foam, essentially “rounding the corner”, and leaving an air gap on the inside. It would look like filleted corners. Can I pull this off with 4”-thick Auralex wedges? I have exactly enough of em to cover every upper dihedral corner. Unlike the attached diagram, in which the grooves of the wedge are parallel to the corner, the wedge grooves of my foam panels would be orthogonal to the corner line.

Oh yeah, I’m mainly strategizing about bass trapping with the thick foam to bring that small room under control, but please throw out recommendations for how to use the square pieces too! Obviously, I’m totally lacking in the diffusion department. What are inexpensive solutions for diffusion?

Also, I’ve only been in the room once, so I don’t know how it sounds yet. Thin wood laminate on all surfaces, basement level. My move-in date is two weeks from now. Trying to get a game plan together for all this foam!

Thanks guys!
Hmm I wouldnt use that foam in my studio. That stuff is hardly going give you adequate control in the low end
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboy_jhb View Post
Hmm I wouldnt use that foam in my studio. That stuff is hardly going give you adequate control in the low end
Armand, right? Did you ever finish your garage studio build?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys, BIG UPDATE:

I found a guy with 4'x8' x 2" Owens Corning 703, and I'm wondering how many to buy. These are BIG sheets. I have the option of purchasing up to 60 of them.

If possible, I want to avoid hanging things on the wall because, in my small room (26' x 14.5' x 8' ceiling), every foot matters.

Here's what I was thinking: cut them in half long-ways (so they're 2'x8'). Make a frame out of wood for each, and wrap it all in cloth. Make them 4 or 6 inches thick. Line every corner (except floor-to-wall corners) with these long bass traps.

How would you guys do this? Note: my budget is very tight.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OC703 is suitable for broadband traps, most of which get made as 4' x 2' panels as they are easily transported or moved and, depending on how they are framed, stackable. 4"-6" depth is good, 8" would be even better. For bass traps you will do better with lighter, soft fluffy insulation, nearer 5,000 rayls/m rather than OC703's 18,000 rayls/m.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1 View Post
Hey guys, BIG UPDATE:

I found a guy with 4'x8' x 2" Owens Corning 703, and I'm wondering how many to buy. These are BIG sheets. I have the option of purchasing up to 60 of them.

If possible, I want to avoid hanging things on the wall because, in my small room (26' x 14.5' x 8' ceiling), every foot matters.

Here's what I was thinking: cut them in half long-ways (so they're 2'x8'). Make a frame out of wood for each, and wrap it all in cloth. Make them 4 or 6 inches thick. Line every corner (except floor-to-wall corners) with these long bass traps.

How would you guys do this? Note: my budget is very tight.
Please read this thread and where it takes you.
Low end response is fine but low mids are horroble. Why why why?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Please read this thread and where it takes you.
Low end response is fine but low mids are horroble. Why why why?
That spurred a lot of learnings from the links to other threads! Forget what I said earlier--I have access to 11 packages of 4'x8'x12" OC 703 (there are six panels in a package, each 2" thick). The packages are still wrapped in plastic, with cardboard corners. I was going to wrap them again in thin drop cloth plastic to create a barrier so fiberglass particles can't get out, and then cover each 4'x8'x1' panel with a cheap black bedsheets and arrange them around the instruments and audience, flush against the wall. Note that my ceilings are 8'--these panels will be wedged between the floor and ceiling.

For the 3 corners (the 4th corner is unusable--the door is flush against that wall), I had the idea of filling the air gap behind each 45-degree corner panel with OC R-30, unopened, still in the bag (in fact, wrapped one more time in drop cloth plastic to keep it out of our lungs), and then stack those to the ceiling to fill up those gaps.

Lastly, I want to make an 8'x8' drum cloud (2 pieces) with the OC 703. Obviously, I'll have to build a frame and use real fabric, and I was thinking of making it 4 inches of 703 and a 2-inch air gap from the ceiling. Due to the low ceiling height, I need a good trick for getting pleasant-sounding diffusion that'll sound good in the OHs. I'm going to start reading through threads on this this topic to educate myself.

Thoughts? My idea of keeping plastic on the packages is to keep the "life" in the room be reflecting more high frequencies. The 12" depth of the 703, flush against the wall (can't afford any more space), plus the unopened R-30 packages in the corner gaps, should absorb copious amounts of low end, correct? This is exciting!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keeping r 30 in its package will kill its effeciency.

Also, The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search