The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Off Gassing in a New Studio Build
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear

Off Gassing in a New Studio Build

Hey guys!

I just finished building my studio in Nashville, and it was done professionally with giant fiberglass bass traps covered by fabric walls (the whole nine yards). It's really awesome to work in, but does have a powerful odor from the construction process (even after deep cleaning). Does anyone have experience breaking in a new construction with lots of smelly building products and their volatile organic compounds (particularly formaldehyde in OC703 and paint)? I know it takes time for everything to off gass, but I am debating "Baking Out" the building (turning up the heat/letting the hot Nashville weather speed up the off gassing process)...the concern being causing wear to some of the gear with the temperature.

Any wisdom would be appreciated! Thanks
-Max
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

You don't need heat: just ventilate the room very well, with the highest possible air flow you can manage going through the room, day and night, for several days. Depending on how bad it is, and what products were used, it might need more than several days....

- Stuart -
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

An air scrubber with a carbon filtration might also work. I think formaldehyde filtration might be different, never looked into it.
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear
It may be worth it to try activated bamboo charcoal air purifier bags. I haven't used them specifically in regards to construction/building odors (yet), but they have worked wonders for removing/neutralizing odors in every application I've tried them with so far! Plus they are long-lasting and reusable. You can get quite a few bags as a package on Amazon for a quite reasonable price.
-Zak

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search