The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Feedback on Sketchups for a Small Theater Room
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Feedback on Sketchups for a Small Theater Room

First the SketchUp renders can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/2uxciyD

I've been trying to design a home theater in a very small bedroom and slowly reading up on sound treatment. I have two lines of questions, one on the actual room design and the second related to DIY and over-absorption.

I currently have six 5.25" bass traps from GIK and two corner traps that are full range absorption (black in the SketchUps). I am planning on buying three bass traps and two more corner traps with scatter plates (in red) from them as I don't want to deal with building a scatter plate into the trap. The question I have now is what to do with the ceiling dihedral corner treatments. If I go through GIK there are two options:
  • Narrow bass traps (12" x 7") with range limiter (~$2000 for red + white traps in the SketchUp)
  • Soffit bass traps (17" x 17") with range limiter (~$3200 for red + white traps)
  • Some combination of soffits and narrow bass traps (about 400 more for each pair of soffits that replaces a pair of narrow traps)
What sort of improvement do you think there would be using Soffits on the ceiling compared to the narrow monster traps? Is it worth the price difference to get two of the larger Soffit traps at least in the back corner of the room (about 2400 for the 3rd render)?

Regarding DIY traps, I looked into building my own and I am not opposed to it for the ceiling traps (don't want to router out holes to build my own scatter plates). However, how do you build a "range limited" trap so that it doesn't overly attenuate high frequencies?
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

So, here's the thing. It's not a critical listening room, so there's no right or wrong. Whenever you love the results you're done. Nice looking models though.

As far as diy goes, its WAY cheaper. You dont have to do fancy scatter plates. Plastic, wood slats, pegboard, etc will all range limit just as well as a fancy routed one. You dont have to spend thousands unless you want to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search