The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Would duck fabric with several heavy coats of paint have any membrane effect?
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Would duck fabric with several heavy coats of paint have any membrane effect?

I have built a suspended lighting element that will hang in my control room. It houses my recessed lighting so I could avoid punching holes through my inner shell. It's about 12 feet long, and 3 feet fide. It will be suspended 6" from the ceiling and be filled with 6" of mineral wool.

The frame is wrapped in duck cloth and then several coats of paint to match the ceiling. I knew it would kill any high end absorption, but it's out of the listening position and I wasn't too worried about it.

Due to construction there is about 1/2" air gap between the painted fabric and the mineral wool. Then a 6" air gap to the ceiling.

Just curious if the painted fabric might lower the frequency at all, or if I should just expect the same absorption I would get from 6" of mineral wool with breathable fabric.

It will hang in the flat of the vaulted ceiling as seen in the picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Would duck fabric with several heavy coats of paint have any membrane effect?-img_7074.jpg   Would duck fabric with several heavy coats of paint have any membrane effect?-img_7076.jpg   Would duck fabric with several heavy coats of paint have any membrane effect?-img_7079.jpg  
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yeeeesssss......but i doubt a substantial one. Its not a sealed cavity and im sure its very little mass. More of a range limiter than anything else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search