The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Subfloor panels (question for John Brandt)
Old 4th September 2019
Subfloor panels (question for John Brandt)

I was watching this video of an interesting studio build in a room with a concrete floor. At this point, he wanted to install some kind of flooring - which I assume is not intended to be a floating floor - just something that looks nice and keeps the floor warmer than concrete.

So at about 2:11, he starts talking about these subfloor panels and said they were "approved" by John Brandt. They're fairly tall and have cavities underneath, which makes me wonder about resonance issues. He also said he was required to do something like this by local energy codes.

I'm eventually going to have a similar choice to make, though I don't think I have the code issue. I was considering something like linoleum directly on concrete or possibly cork underlay with a floating floor. Neither of which would have any resonance issues.

So my question to John (or anyone else) is, are these panels just a least of evils option in order to satisfy code requirements? Or am I wrong in thinking they will cause some kind of acoustic issue?

They do look nice and have OSB on top, which allows for a range of flooring options. They include an insulation and vapor barrier component as well. This is the direct link here, although I'm having trouble finding them available outside of Canada. There may be some USA equivalent out there.

https://www.amvicsystem.com/products/amdry/

Last edited by thechrisl; 4 weeks ago at 10:48 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Obligatory bump... Anyone can answer...

Here's the Home Depot version of this product:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DRIcore-...0006/202268752

Again the question was whether this would create the dreaded "drum head" resonance when applied to a concrete slab and some kind of flooring is placed on top.

It would also present the opportunity to cut strategic slots in these panels to run hidden audio cables under the floor. They are 3/4" thick. No jackhammer required!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My gut says the "cavities" are so small that any resonance would be high enough in frequency that the weight of the floor would negate any problems, but i would hate to be wrong on your dime. John isnt very active here at all. You might have better luck emailing him from his website.
Old 1 week ago
Just to follow up, I got a reply from Mr. Brandt confirming it would satisfy code requirements and not cause acoustic issues.

I saw several threads here about Dricore but mostly as it pertains to water issues, which I don't have. That and building walls on top of it, which sounds ludicrous. They can handle the weight, but it would wreck any soundproofing.

This seems like a good way to get a decent wood type floor if you're on a concrete pad. I was also looking for ways to run important low voltage cables without having to rent a jackhammer or just placing a cable channel on the floor. I'm thinking install the Dricore, cut a few channels from, say, your desk to the wall. Then run your cables and install the final floor over that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search