The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Convert one long oddly shaped room into two for mixing?
Old 1st September 2019
Here for the gear

Convert one long oddly shaped room into two for mixing?

I'm setting up a two-room space on the second floor of my house for mixing purposes. I'll have an office desk and some books in there too. It's a house built in 1900 that the previous owner converted to "open plan" format, I guess from watching too much HGTV. Here's the space as it stands (edit: attached, my link was borked)

I'm mixing in the right room at the moment, not the left. My question is, should I put up a wall so that I have an even 11'-by-8'10"-ish room to mix in? Or is the longish open space as it stands now, about 25 feet long by...varying amounts, better for acoustics? The ceilings are 8'4", and I'm building DIY broadband panels with Rockwool soon to treat the walls and ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Convert one long oddly shaped room into two for mixing?-screen-shot-2019-09-03-12.34.33-pm.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Any ideas? It's okay if there are none; I've been stumped about this one for weeks and I've read a zillion threads here.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper05 View Post
Any ideas? It's okay if there are none; I've been stumped about this one for weeks and I've read a zillion threads here.
Your link is not working. You can upload here with jpg and other formats.
Old 3rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
Your link is not working. You can upload here with jpg and other formats.
Oh, I didn't realize the link wasn't working. Derr. Okay, fixed, and attached again below.
Attached Thumbnails
Convert one long oddly shaped room into two for mixing?-screen-shot-2019-09-03-12.34.33-pm.jpg  
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear

I'm curious about this too...
since I also have an awkward room
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

How do you have your room laid out? I'm assuming that you have everything oriented towards the right wall (with the window in it), with the speakers against that wall and the mix position a few feet back into the room, facing that wall? If so, I would probably just leave it like that and treat the room as well as possible. There's possibly going to be a slight "kink" in your decay times, as you basically have two different acoustic spaces that are coupled to each other, but I doubt that that's going to b a big issue at all. Dividing that space is going to make your actual room very small: having the extra volume from the other room is a good thing for such a small room. With the setup I mentioned above, the lack of symmetry is way behind your head, where it doesn't matter so much. Symmetry in front of you and around you is critical, but behind you it's not so problematic. I'd keep the big room, and treat it accordingly.

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search