The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First reflection treatment when speakers in middle of room
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Head

First reflection treatment when speakers in middle of room

I have (perhaps) a moderately unique room layout. I am in a basement that runs the length of the house and have half of that separated by a curtain (see image, curtain in purple). I have treated 2 axis of my first reflection points (lateral and cloud above) and am planning to do a treatment on the wall behind me but unsure what to do with the space in front of me. One thought is to do treatments behind each of the speakers but I am unsure of how affective that would be (if at all).

Anything else I can share to help understand this situation?

PS: I do have a computer screen in front of me that masks my vision from the point at the far end of the basement that would be a reflection point so I'm not sure, but wouldn't that block any first reflections from that wall?

PPS: I intend to do bass trapping in as many corners as possible if that has any impact on the input provided.

Last edited by colehooey; 29th August 2019 at 04:34 PM..
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anything else I can share to help understand this situation?
Flip the orientation around 180°, so you are facing the wall on the left. That's the only reasonable arrangement for that situation.

- Stuart -
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Flip the orientation around 180°, so you are facing the wall on the left. That's the only reasonable arrangement for that situation.
Thanks for the reply. Can you explain why that would be a better situation? I guess I'd still have the same core question of "what do I do about treatment on the side with the curtain?"
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by colehooey View Post
Thanks for the reply. Can you explain why that would be a better situation? I guess I'd still have the same core question of "what do I do about treatment on the side with the curtain?"
Basically the worst place for you speakers is in the middle of your room, so by placing them up against the wall you will have an easier time getting a more useful acoustic. Generally most studio designs try to fire down the length of the room.
With your speakers in the middle they will be in a zone where there are many cancellations and the bass will sound very weak. With the speakers up against the wall you will still see a "floor dip" but it will hopefully be in a range that you can help with treatment.

A curtain is not going to isolate or be a solid boundary in any meaningful way so yes you are treating the whole volume of the space.

I have a stupid amount of absorption in the corners about 3.5 feet thick!

I would plot to take out all the stuff from the other side of the curtain and claim the space for the studio. In fact I would make that my main aim in life! Is it full of outboard gear and synths? NO! then evict whoever lives there or get a skip and throw out all that junk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search