The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mains electric wiring to studio from house
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mains electric wiring to studio from house

Hey all.

Just a quick question with regards to installing electrics in my soon to be studio.

I am currently renovating a house and then building a recording studio in the cowshed in my garden. I’ve had the digger man come and lay down trenches for all underground wiring to the studio.

My question is, what gauge wire should I lay down in the pit from the house to cowshed? Do I need multiple cables? Armoured cable? Currently I am having the whole house rewired, so it will just be a disconnected cable on this end of the house, and the same on the other side end- allowing me to wire it at a later date.

Am I missing anything and should I look so do anything in the house by way of electrics if connecting up?

Many thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So where are you located? Different areas have different rules and requirements.
How big of a studio, equipment wise?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I laid 3 underground conduit. One for power, 40 amps but should have done another dirty circuit for 110v AC system. One conduit for audio and one for everything else. My piano is in what would be in the dining room in the house and the living room doubles as an acoustic-only studio. Not sure what gauge was used for power (had a pro do it) but beefier the better and I remember asking for thicker stuff. The conduit was plastic (waterproof). I added another ground rod and panel to my room and have 2 more ground rods to sink.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
I laid 3 underground conduit. One for power, 40 amps but should have done another dirty circuit for 110v AC system. One conduit for audio and one for everything else. My piano is in what would be in the dining room in the house and the living room doubles as an acoustic-only studio. Not sure what gauge was used for power (had a pro do it) but beefier the better and I remember asking for thicker stuff. The conduit was plastic (waterproof). I added another ground rod and panel to my room and have 2 more ground rods to sink.
Conduit is cheaper today than it will be next year.

Digging a trench will also cost more in the future than it does today.

Bigger conduit is not very much more expensive than the next smaller size.

Its also time-consuming, expensive, and disruptive to add new penetrations into your studio later on.
(Just things to consider.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So I’m in wales in the UK-240v system.

Currebtly I’m running a small rig with 5 small compact summing mixers, 10 rack mounts,and guitar amps but will be looking to grow it over the years to a 22 channel cadac console, and typical rig to follow- power conditioners, good amounts of rack gear, amplifiers etc. Then will be looking at lighting, Kettle’s, etc.

So a medium sized studio on the whole.

All thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks, and to those left before
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You are going to need a friendly electrician. I mean you can lay armoured cable yourself but unless the electrician has seen it is installed at the proper depth he won't be able to certify it which could cause endless problems. You will need an electrician anyway later so why not find one now who can supervise and make sure you are doing it right. Anyway, that is what I did and it worked out well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I don't advise people on their electrical systems outside the US or Canada, but... Raceway is cheap. Ditches, not so much. If you dig a ditch from point A to point B for an underground raceway, putting a spare raceway in that ditch is least expensive underground raceway you'll ever install.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sounds to me like that’s going to be a good option. As my lawn looks like it’s been chewed up by an industrious mole rat, I’ll be looking to get it done as soon as I can so I’ll be sure to seek professional advice and will report back once it’s done so I can help those in my position in the future.

Many thanks all, and further suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search