The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal echos problems
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Vocal echos problems

Hi Ethan - Audiophile room

I’ve put thick (4inch) 24 by 48 (gik ) panels at first reflection points.

Ceiling front wall cadi-cornered each side monster traps with a FRI range limiters - and now as Ethan recommends - (2) 244 full range on ceiling halfway between me and both speakers ( speakers slightly angled but as their 24 by 48 should be doing coverage?
FLOOR is CARPETED

Still getting strong vocal harsh reverberated sound on operatic female high Note voices. I can’t understand this. 24 by 14 room- speakers 4 feet from front wall- I’m 11 feet from speakers. 10 feet or more room behind my listening seat.

I haven’t even bothered yet putting up alpha 5 absorption/diffusion on wall 11 feet behind me!!!!
Help needed!!
Thanks
Howard

Last edited by HowardMil; 4 weeks ago at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardMil View Post
I can’t understand this.
That's because (to my knowledge) NOBODY actually understands this:

I have even heard it happen in an actual "Opera House" (built in 1855) without any amplification at all!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1. The room has no height.

2. The 14' x ? walls are basically reflectors. Break up or absorb on those walls.

3. The 24 x ? walls are mostly untreated. That may be contributing to the echoes.

4. Enjoy!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If I understand you correctly- I need more absorption between first reflection points and my listening position on side walls? ( ceiling cloud 24by 48 gik 244 not much change)
I have diffuser Alpha 5 not up yet for back wall ( 24 feet long) — would that tone the ‘vocal flutter’ down??
Thanks
Howard
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

tHE BACK WALL MAY BE IT. You have large portions of the side walls untreated..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks that’s my next step!! ( Alpha 5 absorbing/ diffusion panels GIK)

Next problem : I have a small opening ( alcove 4 feet by 8 high, 1 foot deep) a touch behind and adjacent to left speaker. The other side is straight ( dry wall)

I seem to notice ( at times, depending on source material) slight image shift to the LEFT!
What possibilities are there to “ close” and or make this opening acoustically close or even to the right side?
I have ceiling bass traps on both corners and first reflection points on side walls are covered,
Thanks
Howard

Last edited by HowardMil; 3 weeks ago at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Next problem : I have a small opening ( alcove 4 feet by 8 high, 1 foot deep) a touch behind and adjacent to left speaker. The other side is straight ( dry wall)

I seem to notice ( at times, depending on source material) slight image shift to the LEFT!
What possibilities are there to “ close” and or make this opening acoustically close or even to the right side?
I have ceiling bass traps on both corners and first reflection points on side walls are covered,
Thanks
Howard
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
Howard
A plug of the aame material and thickness as the wall,
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What would you suggest? Sheetrock panel, drywall divider, ? Any ideas help
Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What would you suggest? Sheetrock panel, drywall divider, ? Any ideas help
Thanks
The aame material and thickness as the wall,
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

hi
What about this 6 by 4 window above the right reflection point with a 48 tall inch full range absorption panel standing in front ( but slightly below) half the window...
Should window be covered, light material shades, open......or what effect could it have along with that left side alcove---------- attachment picture

attached also other sides for you to get a full idea of the room as it is
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Vocal echos problems-image2.jpg   Vocal echos problems-left-side-room.jpg  

Last edited by HowardMil; 1 week ago at 02:57 PM.. Reason: attachment

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search