The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can Roxul SNS Reflect Low Frequencies?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
EastNashRocker's Avatar
 

Can Roxul SNS Reflect Low Frequencies?

I've read that when OC 703 is more than 4 or 6inches deep that its rigidity starts to reflect low frequencies back into the room.

Will Roxul Safe 'n Sound do the same at certain depths? I hope the answer is no

Clearly SNS is not as rigid as 703, just wanted to check before I create problem for my room. I'm designing a back wall trap and was trying to decide somewhere between 9-12inches in depth. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastNashRocker View Post
I've read that when OC 703 is more than 4 or 6inches deep that its rigidity starts to reflect low frequencies back into the room.

Will Roxul Safe 'n Sound do the same at certain depths? I hope the answer is no

Clearly SNS is not as rigid as 703, just wanted to check before I create problem for my room. I'm designing a back wall trap and was trying to decide somewhere between 9-12inches in depth. Thanks for any thoughts.
SNS is not recommended above 3 layers (10.5") in depth. If you want full fill at 12" use pink fluffy insulation.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Head
 
rubberband's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
SNS is not recommended above 3 layers (10.5") in depth. If you want full fill at 12" use pink fluffy insulation.
To be clear, are you referencing the Roxel equivalent, semi-rigid 24x48" sheets of OC 703?

It was my understanding the the batts of Roxel rock wool "safe and sound" were good for very deep traps.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
To be clear, are you referencing the Roxel equivalent, semi-rigid 24x48" sheets of OC 703?

It was my understanding the the batts of Roxel rock wool "safe and sound" were good for very deep traps.
You are now completely confusing. You asked about Safe N Sound and I explicitly wrote SNS in my reply. What is not clear?

What are you writing about Roxul equivalent to 703? There is nothing in the thread about 703 or "equivalents." For what it is worth, I am in the middle of a protracted conversation with Owens-Corning about what 703 is acoustically today,
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
It was my understanding the the batts of Roxel rock wool "safe and sound" were good for very deep traps.
They are. There are too many people that consider 4" absorbers to be "bass traps." TRIPLE that and SNS is good.

Different marketing makes comparisons difficult, but lok at fig 1 in BBC RD 1992-11. The 270 mm material provides flatabsorption down to 50 Hz, the lowest frequency tested. What ARE YOU CALLING DEEP TRAPS?

If you do not express what you thinking we can not build our discussion usefully.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 
EastNashRocker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
SNS is not recommended above 3 layers (10.5") in depth. If you want full fill at 12" use pink fluffy insulation.
Avare - Thanks for your reply! I was the thread starter and haven't had a chance to respond to any of the conversation happening before now.

In your first post you mentioned that SNS shouldn't be more than 10.5" in depth.. which is good news because my project ended up only using 9" in depth. If someone has more than 10.5" of SNS does it start to reflect bass back into the room?

In your last post you said, "There are too many people that consider 4" absorbers to be "bass traps." TRIPLE that and SNS is good." Does that mean that someone needs at least 16" of SNS for good bass trapping? Thanks for clarifying.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastNashRocker View Post
Avare - Thanks for your reply! I was the thread starter and haven't had a chance to respond to any of the conversation happening before now.

In your first post you mentioned that SNS shouldn't be more than 10.5" in depth.. which is good news because my project ended up only using 9" in depth. If someone has more than 10.5" of SNS does it start to reflect bass back into the room?

In your last post you said, "There are too many people that consider 4" absorbers to be "bass traps." TRIPLE that and SNS is good." Does that mean that someone needs at least 16" of SNS for good bass trapping? Thanks for clarifying.
You are welcome.

More than 3 layers of SNS starts to loose absorption efficiency.

At ~12" and above use pink fluffy if you want to fill or 10.5" of SNS and leave a gap for the rest of the absorber.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump