The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rent a basement, a ground floor level, or an apartment ?
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear

Rent a basement, a ground floor level, or an apartment ?

Hi Guys, this is my first message,
I live in a very expensive city in Canada, and i am about to move from my little studio.
I just visited 3 differents places today:
. A basement in a house ( all rooms have windows)
. A ground level in a house of 3 levels ( all rooms have windows as well )
. An apartment in a old building, and same things, 3 differents rooms with windows

I really don’t know what would be the best configuration to set up and soundproof my lab ?
I don’t want to rent something for one year, and have complains from neighbors.

Thank you for all your advices !

Mike
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
If you want to control the bass frequences, the basement would be best if the ceiling height is decent. Say you use electronic drums, at least the kick pedal will not both people under you.

Ceiling height and irregular shape rooms would be my next thing. Whatever place has the largest room for recoring and listening.
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear

Interesting, thank you.
I created music so many years in a basement without windows. My biggest concern is about windows, all the places i visited have, and don’t seem to be really thick...
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Head

Hey man,

Welcome to the forums. I’m quite new here as well and was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I also live in an expensive city in Canada. I’m assuming you are either in Toronto or Vancouver?

Anyways, I would avoid a basement at all costs. If you are in Toronto, that means the homes are quite old with lower ceilings and no insulation or sound deadening between the joists. I was in a basement apartment and could hear ever little needle drop from the tenants upstairs. It was a horrible experience. All basements are also mostly illegal as there is no safe secondary exit. If you do end up finding a basement, make sure you ask if it is legal. It’s like the wild Wild West out here.

Main floor would be a better option if you are looking to move into a home apartment but again, depends on whether you have neighbors beside you, in basement, or above you. Unless you plan on doing heavy construction you wil most likely have nothing but problems with noise like I did. The older homes (unless renovated and you can confirm sound treatment was handled during the landlords renovation) are super leaky. There are some nice pads though but all depends on your pocket size here in Toronto.

I went with a nice studio apartment in an older apartment building. Why? Well, the older apartment buildings were built like tanks. Massive concrete walls and higher ceilings unlike the newer builds these days. The most noise I get is some loud thumps and stuff from the guys above me walking with super heavy feet or an odd slam of the door from the hallway. I still haven’t weather stripped my door yet though so thats why I hear hallway noise. Also, my place has an exterior wall, I face the stairwell and only have one neighbor beside me who I never hear. And they blast their tv. I can hear them very clearly from the hallway when I exit my place but once I’m in my little oasis, nothing.

I’m in the process of measuring and treating my space right now and have been sharing my journey as I progress. Check it out here:

Just moved in! New Studio Build

Have pictures of my space and everything.

So if I were you, look for a place that is going to allow you to make music comfortably without having to drop too much dough on isolation. Old apartment was my pick. It was also cheaper then most basement apartments in the area!!

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

P.S. if you can find a store top apartment that would be ideal. I wanted to go this route but it was way out of my budget.

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegolden View Post
I really don’t know what would be the best configuration to set up and soundproof my lab ?
Get a soundproof booth. If you move, you have something that can be disassembled.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for all your advices, i finally moved in a house, it's a kind a basement/ground level, i can't hear anybody on the first floor, which is very cool.
Yes it's in Vancouver, you right Recaro ! (very beautiful studio i just saw the pictures ! )
I put my studio in a room without windows. There's just 2 doors. But i would like to something to soundproof the ceiling as well.
And i was wondering what kind of sound proof foam and curtains i have to buy (for example in amazon ? ) I just moved, and me and my wife have a lot of stuff to buy LOL
So i am looking for somenthing cheap for now (i hope to change that in the next few months , but for now, i need to do something very low budget lol )
Could i have some advices from you ?
Thank you so much !!!
ps : here is a picture, i just moved here there's a few hours, so nothing is ready yet
Attached Thumbnails
Rent a basement, a ground floor level, or an apartment ?-img_7545.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mike, can I just check what you mean by soundproof? More like description A or more like description B?

A, Soundproof is sound isolation, removing all possibility of outside noises entering the studio and blocking studio sounds from getting out.

B, Soundproof is the method by which we alter the quality of the sound we hear, record and work with in a studio, removing unwanted echoes and reverberation, creating a smooth, flat frequency response and creating a nice work environment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Mike, can I just check what you mean by soundproof? More like description A or more like description B?

A, Soundproof is sound isolation, removing all possibility of outside noises entering the studio and blocking studio sounds from getting out.

B, Soundproof is the method by which we alter the quality of the sound we hear, record and work with in a studio, removing unwanted echoes and reverberation, creating a smooth, flat frequency response and creating a nice work environment.
Thank you, let me just explain what i really want.
The landlord of my new place visited me today, and he said " woow, you play instruments, awesome, i like that ! please if you could do something for the ceiling, in order to do not disturb your neighbor who live on the first ground, would be great thank you" !! LOL

So basically, I want to play music and reduce the volume for my neighbor who lives above me, and also for my wife in the room next door, just that LOL !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for clarifying that; what with talk of sound proof foam and curtains I was beginning to think you were losing your mind because foam and curtains cannot isolate (aka soundproof) a studio from the outside world or vice versa.

For isolation you will need advice from one of the experts or professionals, of which I am not one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search