The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Equilateral triangles/ monitor placement.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The equilateral triangle is not an obligation.

A long time ago, a fashion was cross the speakers one meter in front of the head.

The practice are numerous.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Jbl advised for the lsr 6332 a angle between 30 and 50 °
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Jbl advised for the lsr 6332 a angle between 30 and 50 °
Yep! Very true. And Boggy has often said that he generally uses a toe-in of anywhere between about 25° and 35°. I'd agree with that.

- Stuart -
Old 2 weeks ago
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Visiting local studios when travelling to build sites, I often see all sorts of sub-par speaker setups (that also sound sub-par) I don't see why it means that the equilateral triangle isn't a solid reference, in our case, one that worked 100% of the times.

Debating whether the engineer actually sits at the tip of an isosceles or equilateral triangle is beyond the actual point and not really interesting.
1000%.

The equilateral triangle exists in the room and the engineer is positioned inside of it. The triangle is formed between 2 speakers and an invisible apex, which can be marked on the floor with tape as a reference point when doing measurements or positioning the desk. I usually do this and take acoustic measurements with the mic positioned 12" forward of the apex.

Personally I never vary the speaker angle of the primary monitors. Secondary reference sets often have to compromise in their position (particularly if you're being smart about their interference with the mains/primary reference set, but that's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward
Hence our reference points in time / space are de facto Tx @ t(0) transmitter: the loudspeakers and Rx @ t(1): the target receiver (listener).

All the room variables are set within the following simple time limits:

Without EER variable: lim t(1)->t(1+n) since direct path speakers to ears is the fastest path so any reflection always arrive in t(1+n)
Haha, I couldn't decipher this Thomas. Could you rephrase / elaborate here?

Last edited by nms; 1 week ago at 08:33 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search