The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What SAFE PRODUCT to line studio HVAC baffles with
Old 11th August 2019
What SAFE PRODUCT to line studio HVAC baffles with

So I posted a thread a few weeks ago about lining some sound proof baffles we made and got a bajillion different conflicting recommendations. Based on the thread we picked duct liner and after finishing the job at 40+ hours of work building them I’ve been informed by a contractor that the duct liner i bought is a HORRENDOUS choice, as it is made of fiber glass and essentially would create a cancer chamber in a sealed mason jar studio live / control room, pumping in fibrous glass particles day in and out. I am just furious at myself for screwing up this whole job. Now I have to either rebuild them or somehow scrape off 65 feet of permanently secured duct wrap. Does anyone have a brand name and model of the correct product to use?
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
What SAFE PRODUCT to line studio HVAC baffles with-image_2587_0.jpg  
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Hvac duct liner is the correct product to use.

This type of stuff https://www.jm.com/en/hvac/duct-liner/

If you put the stuff thats supposed to wrap the outside of a duct to insulate it on the inside then yes, its a problem. Air is abrasive and will break down the particles.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve been informed by a contractor that the duct liner i bought is a HORRENDOUS choice, as it is made of fiber glass and essentially would create a cancer chamber in a sealed mason jar studio live / control room, pumping in fibrous glass particles day in and out.
Right. Because what you bought is NOT duct liner! It is "duct wrap", which is an entirely different product. Duct wrap goes on the OUTSIDE of ducts, for thermal insulation purposes only. Duct liner goes on the INSIDE, and has both thermal and acoustic purposes.

That's the problem. Not that somebody gave you bad advice, but rather that you bought the wrong product...

- Stuart -
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
. Does anyone have a brand name and model of the correct product to use?
Thanks in advance
I couldn't get any faced fibreglass duct liner in the UK so I used foam which seemed pretty good. I was glad not to have to worry about small bits of fibreglass being blown about the place.
I used this stuff ...it wasn't cheap ...
https://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk...-duct-foam.htm
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone have a brand name and model of the correct product to use?
JM Linacoustic RC for one.
Attached Files
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes I did in fact buy the wrong product. 100% my bad and I’m kicking zmyself. Spent the day with a respirator on scraping and power washing them out. Thanks for the duct liner links you guys are awesome! Sorry for the double post on this thanks again. Will be ordering a ton tomorrow. One last question, where’s the cheapest place to order this product online? Thanks again
Old 4 weeks ago
Hey there, so in 2018 alone, an estimated 1,735,350 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 609,640 people will die from the disease. Is there any indication or case studies that the thermosetting resin won't break down and release cancer causing glass fibers into the air over years of heavy air flow (or release fibers when you cut it)? I am now very paranoid about using a fiberglass liner product to line the INSIDE of any ductwork. Especially since the human race is riddled with cancer and we know for a fact it comes from exposure to fiberglass. Just curious your guys thoughts on my paranoia... warranted or no?

Also, beeboss, why couldn't you purchase fiberglass ductliner in the UK? Did you ever find out why it is unavailable there? Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
+1
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Also, beeboss, why couldn't you purchase fiberglass ductliner in the UK? Did you ever find out why it is unavailable there? Thanks
I never got to the bottom of it but I just couldn't find any. It was pretty hard to find the rubbery foamy stuff I linked to earlier as well. I suppose that air conditioning is not so common in the UK and most air conditioning probably uses duct wrap as thermal insulation on the outside of ducts. Certainly my air conditioning installers had never seen the duct liner I used before and had never seen anything like the baffles I made either.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Wow what a great read thanks a ton. It inspired me to call Johns Mansville where I spoke to a very knowledgeable gentleman named John (THE John perhaps??). He reassured me that there have been an exhaustive amount of case studies proving over the last 70 years and theyve all proven time and time again that fiberglass does not cause cancer, that the lungs are able to break down the nondurable fibers very easily. Then again, he sells the product so...

He also gave me a very valuable piece of information that for these recording studio baffles the rigid R 300 board product with a 916 adhesive is probably a better way to go then the rolls of flexible Linacoustic RC, providing additional microbial inhibitor treatment and better sound dampening properties (is that correct though? I’m skeptical rigid board would absorb more sound than matted liner like RC). Both have to be sealed where cut but he also gave another note worthy piece of advice that the super seal acrylic product meant for sealing the cut edges can be bypassed and the 916 adhesive also works just fine for sealing the cut edges.

Lastly, I found it interesting how the JM duct liner was tested, they put it under 170 mile an hour airflow and found it does not break down or release fibers. If the resin can hold up to that I’m sure it can hold up to my little air handler. I feel far more confident in using this product now in my “mason jar” control and live rooms. Hope this thread will also help others narrow down the right product to use. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Final question, does anyone know a good cheap distributor for JM linacoustic R300? Thanks in advance
Old 4 weeks ago

Use Dacron and line it with an anti-bacterial fabric. Call it a day.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search