The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Layout of new room
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Layout of new room

Hi all,

My employer will soon be fitting out a new room as a studio/control room for editing and mixing. While I’m not sure how much input I’ll have into the design, I just want to make sure we’re not missing anything obvious in the room layout. The control room needs to contain a VO booth (which will be built into the room).

I’ve attached an image of the proposed design - the main room is aprox 4 metres x 5 metres (the walls with the window/door are the shorter ones).

With the current layout, the engineer’s listening position seems more symmetrical, at the expense of the monitor speakers being closer to the corners of the room (as compared to placing the desk on the opposite side of the room). I’m not sure if our budget will extend to bass traps, so I’m just a little concerned about the bass build-up.

Would anyone care to comment on whether they think the desk/engineer’s position (i.e. the chair shown at the bottom of the image) is placed on the optimal side of the room, and similarly whether the positioning and shape of the VO booth makes sense?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Layout of new room-screen-shot-2019-08-09-19.17.59.png  
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

It's usually not a good idea at all to set up a control room facing into the corner. It's also not a good idea to reduce the volume of an already-small room by trying to fit a tiny closet into one corner. The control room won't have good acoustic response, and the vocal "booth" will sound pretty bad too. It would be much better to leave the room as large as possible, set it up in the normal orientation, and just record the vocals right there, in the room.

The vocal tracks will sound a lot better like that, and you stand a much better chance of getting usable acoustic response in the control room, as recommended in specs such as ITU BS.1116-3 and EBU Tech-3276.

- Stuart -
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
It's usually not a good idea at all to set up a control room facing into the corner. It's also not a good idea to reduce the volume of an already-small room by trying to fit a tiny closet into one corner. The control room won't have good acoustic response, and the vocal "booth" will sound pretty bad too. It would be much better to leave the room as large as possible, set it up in the normal orientation, and just record the vocals right there, in the room.

The vocal tracks will sound a lot better like that, and you stand a much better chance of getting usable acoustic response in the control room, as recommended in specs such as ITU BS.1116-3 and EBU Tech-3276.

- Stuart -
Genius.

Would probably eliminate extra work and two additional surfaces for reflections. amazing!
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

Many thanks for the advice so far.

I agree actually, that the ideal scenario would be to treat the room properly and record vocals in the room without a booth, however practicality (and to a certain extent, client expectations) dictates that we need a booth. Just to clarify, we're primarily recording VO for corporates etc (we're not recording music), and need the isolation a booth provides; we’ll be deadening it as much as possible.

So the question probably comes down to, do we keep the desk in the slightly narrower end of the room, or sacrifice some symmetry to get slightly further away from the corners by placing it on the opposite wall?

I’ve also attached a rough sketch of one further thought, for an alternative layout, if we were to place the desk (blue rectangle) on the opposite wall, and also slightly adjust the walls of the VO booth (red lines), to ‘open up’ the room a little more. Again, it would be sacrificing symmetry in order to move the listening position away from the corners though..
Attached Thumbnails
Layout of new room-screenshot-alt-design.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search