The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

How to make the front face of superchunk bass traps smooth?

Hello to the Gearslutz audio community, this is my first post in here

Very recently I finished making SuperChunk style corner Bass Traps.(the ones that are filled completely)
After filling the prism shaped frames with Roxul (Rockwool) boards, I noticed that the front face is not perfectly smooth.
I am planning to cover it with Guilford of Maine FR701 (please let me know if you are aware of a better option) ,
My concern is that, the roughness of Rockwool boards will make the front facing fabric look ugly. Now some people recommend to cover the front face of the traps with a PEG board or something like that. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not, to me that will make the traps less effective.
Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

BUMP
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Addict

Don't do that.
Read about the differences in absorption by visco elastic materials, membranes, helmholt, 1/4 lambda etc.
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
Don't do that.
Read about the differences in absorption by visco elastic materials, membranes, helmholt, 1/4 lambda etc.
So do you have any recommendations? On how how to solve the issue of not being a smooth surface?
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Build a simple, light-weight frame just in front of the trap. Stretch the fabric across the frame.

- Stuart -
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Build a simple, light-weight frame just in front of the trap. Stretch the fabric across the frame.

- Stuart -

I'm not quite sure on what kind of frame you are talking about.

Could you provide pictures?

What material should I use?

I don't know how to make a frame that is acoustically transparent and doesn't affect the absorption. It would be be great if you could provide more details,

Thanks,

Saman
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you provide pictures?
Sure. See below. The first three are a selection from various rooms, showing both vertical and horizontal superchunks with framing. The last three show a sequence in the construction for one specific room (the control room at Studio 3 Productions), first with the bare insulation, then the framing around that, and finally completed with fabric finish.

Quote:
What material should I use?
For the frame: usually wood. For the fabric: whatever you like the looks of! As long as it is "breathable". As you already discovered, Guilford of Maine has a really good selection of fabrics.

Quote:
I don't know how to make a frame that is acoustically transparent and doesn't affect the absorption.
The frame will have no effect at all on the absorption. Neither will the fabric. It's a bass trap, so the wavelengths are very long: many meters. A thin frame just a few cm wide will do nothing at all to affect the passage of those waves. Even if the frame was 20cm wide on each side, it would still have no measurable effect on the bass trapping. It would help to reflect some of the high frequencies back into the room, though, and that's not a bad thing! The amount of bass trapping that is needed in a small room is also way too much for the mid range and high frequencies, so very likely you will need to place some type of reflective surfaces in your bass traps, to prevent them from "sucking up" too much of the highs.

- Stuart -
Attached Thumbnails
Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness-superchunks-03-enh.jpg   Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness-superchunks-05-enh.jpg   Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness-superchunk-corner-trap-detail.jpg   Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness-rdmo-vertical-superchunk-frame-01.jpg   Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness-rdmo-vertical-superchunk-frame-02.jpg  

Filled corner bass traps front face smoothness-rdmo-vertical-superchunk-frame-fabric-03.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Sure. See below. The first three are a selection from various rooms, showing both vertical and horizontal superchunks with framing. The last three show a sequence in the construction for one specific room (the control room at Studio 3 Productions), first with the bare insulation, then the framing around that, and finally completed with fabric finish.

For the frame: usually wood. For the fabric: whatever you like the looks of! As long as it is "breathable". As you already discovered, Guilford of Maine has a really good selection of fabrics.

The frame will have no effect at all on the absorption. Neither will the fabric. It's a bass trap, so the wavelengths are very long: many meters. A thin frame just a few cm wide will do nothing at all to affect the passage of those waves. Even if the frame was 20cm wide on each side, it would still have no measurable effect on the bass trapping. It would help to reflect some of the high frequencies back into the room, though, and that's not a bad thing! The amount of bass trapping that is needed in a small room is also way too much for the mid range and high frequencies, so very likely you will need to place some type of reflective surfaces in your bass traps, to prevent them from "sucking up" too much of the highs.

- Stuart -

Thank you so much for your response,

I tried contacting Guilford of Maine, but unfortunately they do not provide shipping to my location. Now I am just looking to find a fabric that is breathable. I'm just a bit unsure on how much breathable should the fabric be.. I would appreciate if you can help me with that.

Also, I am planning to cover the sides of the traps as well. (I mean the sides that are facing the wall)
Can I use any material? My assumption is that I can use anything because those sides are just facing the walls.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It is about harder to find fabric that doesn't work than does, so almost every fabric will do unless it is very very thick and heavy and waterproof.

You can make the sides facing the wall as you like.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

As Bert said. And you my ponder what Soundman 2020 wrote about the risk of bass traps sucking up too much of midrange and treble in a small room. I see little reason to search for acoustically transparent fabric (perhaps expensive and hard to find) for a bass trap and then cover that fabric on the inside / outside with something that reflects mids and treble to give some "life" back to the room....
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
It is about harder to find fabric that doesn't work than does, so almost every fabric will do unless it is very very thick and heavy and waterproof.

You can make the sides facing the wall as you like.
Thank you Bert, I appreciate your help.
If the fabric does not matter that much, then why can't I cover the inside with a pegboard?
To my understanding the pegboard is also thin ans woykd have little to no effect on the absorption.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xteon View Post
Thank you Bert, I appreciate your help.
If the fabric does not matter that much, then why can't I cover the inside with a pegboard?
To my understanding the pegboard is also thin ans woykd have little to no effect on the absorption.
If that board is very open you can.
Something like a loudspeaker grille is stiff and open.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search